SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chocolatebunny_gw

Mediterranean vs Tuscan decorating

13 years ago

I am not sure how I got on to this debate with a friend today, so I thought I would ask here.

I returned a canister set that I just bought b/c DH didn't like it. He said it was too bright. He likes more earthy colors.

Anyway, I am telling my friend this and she asked if I was still into all the "tuscan" colors. I said no, that I like more "mediterranean" colors. She said there is no difference between the two and that the terms are used interchangably in decorating. She has hired a decorator before so maybe she knows something I don't.

I see the two as similar, yet very different. I may be wrong, but when I hear the term "tuscan", I immediately think Olive Garden. Wall art that has pictures of grapes, or wine, or Italian landscapes (or what I imagine are Italian landscapes). Kitchy things like plates with the word "cucina" on them. Dark colors.

Mediterraean to me means earthy colors too, but more blues and whites vs cream colors. I can't think of any other way to describe it.

My house is definitely more mediterranean than tuscan (at least what I think mediterranean is!). Quite frankly, I dislike tuscan stuff. To me it's a fad that's way overdone and should be on it's way out.

Like I said, my friend has used a decorator before so maybe I'm the one that doesn't know what the heck I am talking about. : )

What do you think?

Comments (13)