SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

Need advice re porch posts (x-posted)

Cross-posting this on the building forum as well but figure some of you here may not lurk there and might have good info for me...

Has anyone used Certainteed's aluminum reinforced vinyl porch posts? I'm looking for something that has the look of traditional turned wood but that is low maintenance and I need a fairly high load-bearing capacity. Here is the link to their brochure:

http://www.certainteed.com/NR/rdonlyres/BE403CAD-5DE3-41DE-8FE3-4F1EBE44423C/0/FRD_1889_001_105.pdf

If you have experience with this product, can you tell me 1) How "plasticy" does the vinyl look/feel? 2) Does it stay nicely white or begin to yellow fairly quickly?

I can order these but no one in my area seems to carry Certainteed products so it is hard to get a first hand look at them.

Also, if you know of a competing product you would recommend, please chime in.

It would be great if someone made something like a steel reinforced fiber-cement column that was made to LOOK like turned wood and could be painted whatever color you wanted and then would hold the paint like hardiboard does but, so far at least, I've not found anything like that in my internet searching!

Comments (2)