SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
labpa

Appreciate some backsplash advice for difficult space

labpa
12 years ago

I have been torturing myself with backsplash decisions. Cabinets are french ash. Countertops are soapstone. The entire house is contemporary and has a lot of glass throughout. But it is a very small and narrow house. Since I seem to be the only person on GW that can't figure out how to post pictures directly (obviously I am an idiot), below is a link.

I have a wall where the range and hood will go (first pic). This wall will have no uppers and the backsplash will go behind the range to the ceiling. This wall on the left has a cut out to the dining room area and you can see green glass panels that flank the front door. I was thinking of using solistone folia in wisteria because I thought that would complement the glass panels alongside the door (which you can see from the kitchen) and the black streaks will go with the soapstone. Then I thought maybe back painted glass that followed the shade of the glass panels. Then I realized I had a problem.

In the second picture, the wall is where we are placing a TV (excuse the construction mess). Because I hated the idea of a TV taking up a wall we had previously used for art, we decided to place the TV in a remnant piece of green onyx I found for a steal. The mock-up of what this is roughly supposed to look like is the third picture but it doesn't do the idea justice. The 4th pic is a pic of the Onyx sitting in front of a slab of granite (not mine). Below the TV, we will have a narrow piece of furniture that we are having custom made to store dog food (another saga). And also in that area is the dog sofa which you can probably tell based on the dogs, is not small.

So the question is this: since you will see the Onyx/TV on the same plane as the backsplash when you enter that part of the house, I think the folia tile is too busy. Should I just go back to backpainted glass in the more watery blue shade of the glass panels or will that clash with the Onyx? Should I get another piece of Onyx and do the backsplash in Onyx (this seems too much, too heavy and will take away from the soapstone). Any other suggestions?

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Here is a link that might be useful: in progress pics

Comments (10)