SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irish_eyes_13

Help/input appreciated with countertop and backsplash ideas

irish_eyes_13
13 years ago

Hi All. I'm new here and have found the site to be very helpful however DH and I are stumped on what to do with our counters and backsplash.

The cabinets are ordered and are a traditional shaker in cherry with the stain called spice which is a medium brown color. The current kitchen is builders grade oak with laminate which has served its pupose but needs to go. Our kitchen is very small and as much as we tried to change the footprint of the kitchen with several different design ideas to allow for more cabinets, it just isn't in the budget. The bulkheads will remain unfortunately due to HVAC duct work inside of them and the cost is out of our budget to move everything. The only change to the current photos will be the built in pantry which is being removed and in its place will be upper and lower cabinets and extended counter space to the wall.

We would like to use granite as the counter surface but need to keep in the lower price range. The laminate floors will not be replaced immediately and they have a lot of warm tones which is catching us up on what to do with the granite. The floor seems a bit busy to me and with the kitchen being so small, I don't want to choose something which will overwhelm the space. The kitchen is heavily used with both me and DH cooking together (yes, this can prove interesting) and we have 3 teenagers so I am trying to avoid anything too dark.

The backsplash needs to be something which can withstand constant wiping and needs to be stain resistant...but I really want something that helps give the room some style and, if possible, make the room seem larger. Considering some sort of glass tile but I may be getting ahead of things considering we haven't decided on a counter yet.

The range and fridge will be replaced soon but not immediately. We are getting an OTR microwave but haven't chosen this or the sink/faucet yet... It is all so overwhelming!

Any help, suggestions or input would be appreciated! These are the only photos I have currently but can upload additional ones if it would help. I know it seems cluttered currently but the game plan is to unclutter the counters, baker's rack and side/top of the fridge once the new cabinets and counters are installed. Thanks in advance!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (5)