SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmb63

Need help choosing a less intense paint color

14 years ago

Hello and thank you in advance for your help! I'm trying to choose a paint color for my living room. I would like a warm, pale yellow. With the help of this excellent explanation of the Glidden Master Palette posted by funcolors,

"Glidden master palette explained", I had a sample of Benjamin Moore mixed to match Glidden Cotton Blossom (35YY86/117). I'm very happy with the color except that I have read I should choose a shade lighter than what I think I need since it will look more intense when the whole room is painted. (This especially seems to be a problem with yellows in previous posters' experiences.) Since this is such a pale color, is it even possible to have it mixed as a percentage tint of the original color (75%?), and would that accomplish what I want (less intensity)? Or would I be better off testing a color with a lower intensity number from the Master Palette? The closest I can find is Glidden Ophelia (40YY83/086). Since Ophelia has slightly less orange in it, it won't be as warm as my original choice, but it should be less intense.

Also, what do I do about ceiling color? Our rooms are small, so I know I need a different color on the ceiling but I don't want to just choose a random off-white that will clash with the wall color. If the percentage tinting is possible, then can I just use a 50%(?) tint of the wall color? If percentage tinting is not possible, would I be better off with a ceiling white, or do I have to be careful of undertones even in the ceiling color?

Thanks!

Comments (2)