SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I wish more could be done about habitual drunk drivers

alisande
12 years ago

I heard about this crash when it happened. I'm glad to see no one was killed (it wasn't clear at first), but the injuries were certainly severe. This was the woman's fifth DUI! And her blood alcohol was four times the legal limit. I'm not personally into motorcycles, but a man ought to be able to take his grandson for a ride on a beautiful spring afternoon without worrying about a drunk driver swerving into his lane.

Ida Canfield, a 50-year-old Lake Huntington, N.Y. woman jailed in connection with a Sunday, March 18 crash on Route 652 that sent a Narrowsburg man and his grandson to hospitals in a helicopter, has pleaded guilty to two felonies and one misdemeanor.

The crash occurred on the afternoon of Sunday, March 18 on Route 652 near the bridge to Narrowsburg, N.Y.

According to the report filed by the state trooper on the scene, two witnesses following Canfield at around 2:55 p.m. as she drove east toward Narrowsburg reported seeing her weave in and out of the oncoming lane for about a half mile when she rounded a curve and they heard the crash.

As reported at the time, 57-year-old Narrowsburg resident Brad Marchesin and his nine-year-old grandson were coming around the curve in the other lane on Marchesin's motorcycle and struck Canfield's car on the driver's side.

The witnesses rounded the curve and saw the boy lying in the road, the car stopped and the heavily damaged motorcycle off to the side of the road. They called 911.

Marchesin was life-flighted to CMC in critical condition and later lost a leg. His grandson was flown to the Lehigh Valley Hospital with two broken legs. They are both still in the hospital.

Canfield was in the back of an ambulance when Honesdale Trooper Terrence Branning arrived at the scene, according to his report, which Wayne County District Attorney Janine Edwards read for the court Thursday.

After noticing Canfield smelled of alcohol, Branning questioned her. According to his report, she admitted drinking "three or four bloody marys earlier that day."

Testing revealed her Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) to be 0.325% at the time. This is her fifth DUI.

After failing to post $50,000 bail, Canfield was originally remanded to the Wayne County Prison on charges of Aggravated Assault by Motor Vehicle and Aggravated Assault by Motor Vehicle while Driving Under the Influence.

She pleaded guilty to these charges, both felonies carrying possible 10 year prison terms and up to $20,000 in fines, as well as a misdemeanor DUI charge which carries up to five years in jail and $10,000 in fines.

In total, for pleading guilty to the three charges, she will face up to 20 years in prison and as much as $50,000 in fines.

Comments (18)