SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Antique Chinese Statue: Recognize It? (Pic)

15 years ago

Although most normal people end up buying Greek and shell souvenirs when they visit Tarpon Springs, Florida's Greek Sponge Dock area north of Tampa, I fell in love with this 99 year old Chinese porcelain statue. I just couldn't bring myself to leave him. He's in perfect condition and will make a great centerpiece for my Asian dinners and sit safely on a bookcase looking beautiful the rest of the time . . . but I'd love to know more about him.

It seems to me I've seen this Chinese image before. My Google search came up with two possibilities:

(1) some kind of Chinese legend about a blue boy riding a red carp, which turns into a dragon

(2) a figure used to celebrate Boys Day, possibly called a "Kintaro" or "Sakata no Kintoki".

Both references were fairly vague and my boy is not actually blue.

Any ideas? BTW, my statue is quite heavy; the bottom of the statue has green felt on it, so I can't see any possible markings without tearing it off, and it's approximately 13"L x 10"H x 10"W.

And, for any of you who've seen pics of my all adobe hacienda home here in the mountains of New Mexico and are now ROTFLYAO at the thought of a Chinese antique fitting in here, I have to tell you that my living and dining rooms have VERY eclectic art in it. I just haven't posted pics of all of it here . . . yet. So, trust me, it'll work.

I'd appreciate any info on this.

Thanks!

Lynn

Heres' the pic I took of him in the store before they wrapped him up for me to carry home on the plane.

{{gwi:1419820}}

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions