SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smokint_gw

New coping cracked, now what?

smokint
16 years ago

Hello all,

I thought I would post my recent experience and see what y'all think.

My pool builder (PB) just poured the "cap" on our shotcrete 18'x36' pool. This is a 1' wide, 4" thick colored concrete coping that goes around 3 sides of the pool (one short side doesn't have coping due to the autocover). This PB has no experience with colored concrete and our deck builder, who is experienced, is 2 weeks out and wasn't available the day of the pour. We chose Davis Color Ready-Mix integral color (Harvest Gold)and calculated the dosing (3 # per bag of cement) ourselves, I actually personally weighed the mix. I was very nervous prior to the pour because the PB really has never done color before. I practically begged the deck guy to come and babysit for just the start but he could not. Anyway, the pour went off at ~ 8:00AM on a hot, sunny windy day. The concrete begin to set quickly and, according to the PB, "almost got away" from him. The initial color was very dark and I had him use the Davis W-1000 clear cure and seal immediately. I wasn't there, but my wife said he was actually running around the coping because it was setting so quick.

Well, the following day the cracks began to show. Hairline cracks and some eggshell surface pattern ("crazing"). These have progressed now to where every section has 2 hairline cracks extending completely from the facing to the back of the coping. Initially I thought my color must have accelerated the set, perhaps due to the darkness of the intial mix. But, after talking with the deck guy, I don't think the color had anything to do with the cracking. I also called Davis Color and they said nothing in the pigment mix will accelerate the cure. After further thought, discussion and research, I feel these cracks are "plastic shrinkage cracks" caused by quick water evaporation. It turns out the PB forgot to water down the bond beam prior to the pour. He essentially poured the fresh concrete onto an absorptive (concrete), dry warm surface. Also, the pour started late for the predicted weather, in my opinion. I'm hoping for the best and could live with the current cracks but my fear is that these will progress.

So, my question to you pool folk is would you press for a redo of the coping now? Or wait and see?

Thanks for listening...

Comments (11)