SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwrede

Urgent!Travertine coping cracking/coming apart

mwrede
14 years ago

I am really freaking out right now! I was outside and realized that about 1/3 of our travertine coping seem to be cracking/ separating from the rest of the patio and in one area sinking as much as 1/4" on the side where the coping connects to the rest of the patio. Many pieces seem to be cracked or have chuncks flacking of. There is also one area where the grout under the travertine coping is cracked.

The travertine is 1.25" thick pavers set in concrete. This is only happening with the 12x24 pieces also the rest of the travertine patio seems ok as of now.

Please does anyone know why this is happening? Or what to do? The pool is only 4.5 months old. As we only used the pool for a month and a half this year we did not seal the travertine but planned to seal it in the spring. I was told that travertine was ok for freeze thaw conditions and that it's used as far north as Massachusetts. The last week has been the coldest we've had in a while here in NC and the temperatures dropped to the mid/high teens at night.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coping pictures

Comments (21)