SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

Need help deciding on features for first pool..warning loaded ??

lmhall2000
15 years ago

I just finished skimming the post on intelliflo VF and VS...I have to admit I felt like a bird flying in an aerobatic air show..all these terms and technical issues that I have NO clue about and was just looking for the line that said "X is better than Z in your situation"...all that got me thinking can/should I really build my own pool or should I leave it up to the pool builders.

I'm very much a do it myselfer...I homeschool my kids and that has turned out well..I acted as the general contractor on a 9 year old house that needed 1200 sq. feet of framing/plumbing/electrical completed upstairs..not to mention, gutting the kitchen, tearing down walls, installing LVL beam for support..all new flooring/lighting throughout...I gave myself a 3 month window, okay, it took 5 months...I did 90% of the tiling, stained the wood floors, painted every inch of the house...put in concrete supports in my crawlspace...I don't flinch at hard work or dirty work..I just get it done. I am a stickler for details and won't tolerate folks trying to pull one over on me (like the carpet installer who left 9 year old padding and stole my 8 pound padding...caught that one quick and resolved it in a civil manner)....but I know NOTHING about building a pool! I've done my homework and felt it was manageable after reading several do-it-yourselfers journeys....but reading that VS v. VF stuff made me quickly doubt myself...here is what I want...

We have an acre lot (5 acres of pasture/barn) that the house sits on..I want a simple Roman style pool...steps on one end...recessed seating spaces on either the sides or at the other end of the pool (whichever is cheaper)...depth 3.5 to 6.5 feet thinking of a 14x28 size pool..don't know if vinyl/gunite would be best (live in North Alabama)...don't really care if it's heated..but would like 2 lights at both ends...decking can just be stamped concrete..not going crazy with the flagstone and don't care about the cement lines that are needed..just want something that will not be super slick as this pool will have kids running around it...I have a budget of 50k for it but would love to spend less, that's why I'm considering doing it myself...I know myself, and I'll be a pill in someone's side if things go awry...it seems too many pool contractors are not quality conscious...or is that just because I've never met anyone who has not had "issues" with their pool builder..I've known 20 or so families that have had pools and the stories they tell are horrible...not one has ever had a fair-good experience!

so those that have done this before, is it daunting? I was not intimidated at all doing my house remodel/construction...saved over 40k on bids from initial contractors...but finding good plumbers/electricians/framers/drywallers is different than finding a pool crew who can sculpt the earth...oh and have not quite figured out if pebble tec is for gunite or cement pools..what is that stuff?

Thanks!

Tara

Comments (10)