SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jj4444444

Pool equipment question - urgent

jj4444444
15 years ago

I thought I was good to go on all my pool decisions, but have just run into a problem.

Let me start by saying I really don't understand any of this pool stuff, pump type, pipe size, suction, etc. I have gotten very involved in many other aspects of the home build, but this is one that I just don't have the mind for I guess.

I have decided to go with the Intelliflo pump with the easy touch controller. However, I am looking at the bid and see that I have a total of 3 pumps on the bid, one for the pool, one for the spa and one for the water features(2 laminar jets and a possible future small waterfall of some sort). Also, there is a blower for the spa.

So, there will be an upcharge from my pb to change from the 2 hp wisper flow pump to the intelliflo. But, do I still need 3 pumps or does the intelliflo make it so that I can get rid of 1 or 2?

Just to give more info, here is the specs of the pool/spa.

POOL SPA

DimensionsŅŅŅ...27Â x 16Â 10"ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ7Â

B DepthÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ.Â3Â to 5ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ..3Â 6"

C AreaÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ.Â..403 sq ftÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ48 sq ft.

D PerimeterÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ....87 ln ftÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ.28 ln ft.

E Internal AreaÂÂÂÂÂÂ..Â.752

F GallonsÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ..Â. 12,194

SPECIFICATIONS INCLUDE:

1. Engineered plans, city building permits and lien releases.

2. Workers compensation insurance, public liability and property negligence

insurance.

3. Responsible for cleaning up and hauling away of all construction debris.

4. Detailed explanation of construction program for the homeowner.

5. Complete instructions for operation of pool equipment.

6. Maintenance equipment to include:

a. 16" wall brush d. acid

b. Leaf skimmer e. Water test kit

c. 16Â telescopic pole f. Start-up chemicals

EXCAVATION

a. Complete normal soil condition excavation.

b. Rock or (Hard) dig is not included in this bid.

c. Track hoe excavation with some of the dirt to remain as needed.

PLUMBING-SCHEDULE 40 PVC

All plumbing lines will maintain 35 Lbs. Pressure through construction.

a. Two (2) skimmers, one for pool and one for spa.

b. Four (4) returns 1.5" diameter and looped, 2 in spa.

c. 25Â of pool, and spa plumbing runs.

d. Suction and 3 sep returns for water features with jandy valves to control

individual flow + dump line to pool.

e. Separate suction line to two anti-vortex main drains

f 8-port Caretaker In-floor cleaning with up to 28 heads. Lifetime warranty

on heads. Labor three years.

g. 8 Therapy jets plumbed with separate water and air lines, looped for equal

pressure.

EQUIPMENT

a. One (1) Pentair 320 Clean and clear cartridge filter.

b. One (1) Pentair 2 HP Whisper-flow pump for pool.

c. One (1) Automatic water leveler, plumbed to house with anti-siphon valve.

d. One (1) Pentair 400k btu maxi-therm heater.

e. One (1) Aqua logic PS-8 control panel with salt chlorinator. *** changed to easy touch

f. One (1) Wireless table top controller.

g. One (1) Spa side wired controller.

h. One (1) Pentair 2 HP Whisper-flow pump for therapy jets.

i. One (1) Pentair 2 HP Silencer blower for spa jets.

j. One (1) Pentair 1 to 2 HP Whisper-flow pump for Water feature.

STEEL REINFORCING

Per starling Engineering Specifications

a. 3/8" rebar on 12" centers throughout pool.

b. Four (4) 3/8" rebar bond beam.

c. Steel blocked on vertical walls and floors.

d. Steel surcharged on back wall with 6" verts per engineering.

ELECTRICAL

a. One 400w blue lens lights **Intelli brite lights for both pool and spa

b. Up to 30 ln ft of 3/4" conduit panel to equipment

c. Up to 100 ln ft of brass conduit lights to equipment.

d. Electrical bonding as required.

e. One 100w spa light **Intelli brite lights for both pool and spa

GAS LINES

a. Up to 30Â of 2" gas line Stub to heater. Includes all permits and connections.

SHOTCRETE

Per Starling Engineering Specifications

a. 6 ½ sacks cement to the yard, and will attain a minimum 28 day compression

core of 3,000 P.S.I. average 6" on floors and walls, 8" minimum in coves and

stress areas. (Over break due to poor soil conditions extra 3 yards included in

bid)

b. Includes steps, play step and benches per plan.

c. Fiber mesh added to mix for added floor strength.

INTERIOR FINISH

a. Stone Scapes mini pebble with choice of any upgraded color. *** changed to Finest Finish Grey

TILE

a. Choice of A or B group tile from National pool tile, or Noble Pool Tile for

pool and spa waterline.

WATER FEATURE

a. 2 large lighted laminar jets SAVIX75KIT2

DECK/ COPING

By owner

WALLS

a. Up to 12Â of 6Â block wall for equipment screen.

I need to give my final answers to the pb ASAP, so any thoughts about the pump situation would be very much appreciated!

Jennifer

Comments (23)

• tresw
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just typed a response to a similar question, so I'll paste it in here too:

"We don't have a spa, but we have a grotto, bubbler, 11' long waterfall and a slide with water. We have one pump (an Intelliflo) plus a booster pump for the cleaner. it's hooked up to SunTouch controls so that we push a button on the remote and it diverts most of the water from standard circulation mode to the water features and also ramps the pump up to high speed. It's powerful enough to run everything except the slide, the slide is 8' tall and requires a lot of head pressure. So we hit another button on the remote that diverts the water from the waterfall to the slide if we want to use the slide. So, if you have automation you could probably get by with a single pump for your pool circulation/ filtration and water features plus a 2nd pump for your spa (plus a booster if you have a pressure-side cleaner)."

In your case you do have automation, so I don't see why you can't cut out the pump dedicated to the water features and run them from the Intelliflo instead. The PB will have to install some valve actuators to control the valves when you want to turn your water features on and off, but that's no biggie.

• jj4444444
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the response. I spoke with the pb and he said that the spa and pool can share a pump, and that there was no downside to that. I got the feeling if I wouldn't have said anything he just would have put in an extra pump.

So, now I am not sure about him saying the pool and spa can share and you are saying the pool and water features can share. Can it go the other way also, or is there a reason the spa and pool shouldn't share?

Thanks!

• Related Discussions

Please help me select pool equipment and confirm pool order

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Markbr, Here are my 2 cents: 1. What Filter would you recommend for this. Go with a Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filter. Easy to maintain and keeps the water crystal clear. 2. What pump would you recommend Go with a Pentair IntelliFlo VS (variable speed). I would also recommend an EasyTouch 4P or 8P (single body system right)? You will get the best interop between the EasyTouch and IntelliFlo. 3. Which Salt water system If you get an EasyTouch, get one with an IC40 salt cell (good for up to 40,000 gallon pools). This way you can use the EasyTouch to control the salt cell. 4. Which brand Heat pump and what size BTU. Haven't had much experience with Pentair ThermalFlo heat pumps but I hear good things about them. 5. Which cleaning robot, I would prefer one I didn't have to connect to tubing, just something I can throw in without work. I personally use the Pentair Prowler cleaner and like it very much. Easy to use and clean. 6. Which Skimmer to buy Admiral S200 with circular weir is my favorite. 7. Which return jets Not sure. 8. Which lights Do you want color or white?
    ...See More

Need Urgent Help - Pool Question.

Q

Comments (7)
    Like tfons said, it should be stated in your contract and they should have informed you when you were signing the contract that these items were excluded. Our PB told us that the sprinkler lines would more than likely be broken and they offered to repair at an extra lump-sum cost (but the salesman stated we'd probably be better off cost-wise using our guy). We elected to use our own guy. They did break a couple of lines, but it still was 20% of the cost to use our guy as what the PB quoted us. They also broke the cable. I had the cable company come out and install a screw-lock connection on the cable and just lay the cable on top of the ground where the construction traffic was. Each day when I left for work I would disconnect it and roll it to the side, then reconnect it when I got home. At the end of the project I sealed the connection water-tight and buried the line (did that part myself because the cable company wanted to charge us to re-lay the cable all the way to the back of the house!)
    ...See More

Pool Equipment Warranties, Punchlist and Pool School Questions

Q

Comments (5)
    My opinion is you have every right to ask for a decent clean up of the job site. Nice IntelliFlo by the way. Initially I thought you were too picky but as the pictures scrolled by, there is enough bad work to hold them to every last detail. Gliu drops are normal and chalk that up to laziness. I lay a towel to catch drip but that's just me. Most glue drops scrape off too. The rest is pretty poor workmanship. You're no going to do much with the paint over spray on the pool sweep booster valve but get everything else fixed. That gauge is a vacuum gauge and should be removed and plugged anyway.
    ...See More

Pool Equipment Jandy vs Pentair

Q

Comments (4)
    Have had the entire jandy package installed for 7 years now. Mostly been very reliable with exception on the chlorine generator. Numerous sensor failures and jandy (zodiac now) wouldn't even acknowledge an issue let alone replace defective parts. 6 years= 2 complete aquapure 1400 systems + 2 additional sensors! Not sure if other companies are any better but jandy didn't seem to be doing anything to generate customer loyality. Heater and other equipment has been very good. Might consider using the new iPad software/controller as very convenient
    ...See More
  • peterl1365
    15 years ago

Be aware that if you get the Intelliflo VF (variable flow), it will not talk with the Easytouch (unless Pentair has made some firmware changes in the last year).

Generally, if you get the VF, you need the Intellitouch panel. If you get the VS, then you can use the EasyTouch.

• peterl1365
    15 years ago

You should also specify 2.5 inch or 3.0 inch plumbing. I think the industry standard is 2.0.

• landa_mac
    15 years ago

I would highly recommend you go with an EasyTouch system or IntelliTouch system for your setup described. You already are using IntelliBrites and probably an IntelliFlo? Both EasyTouch and IntelliTouch now completely control IntelliBrite lights.

>

Peter, give them a couple months. I hear lots of good stuff is coming to EasyTouch!!

• subl1002
    15 years ago

I would get a seperate pumps as suggested. If you want the intelliflo, use it for your circulation. The intelliflo is not efficient at running high flow features, it was desgined for low speed efficiency and not to be a one size fits all approach even though it can be used as such. With all of the hype it is hard to find unbiased opinions on the VF/VS but if you look hard enough you will find opposing opinions. Something to consider, if you design your pool around a single variable speed pump, what happens if the technology changes, single speeds become more energy efficient and variable speed pumps are no longer produced?

• ncrealestateguy
    15 years ago

The local Pool store here told me that they use Easy Touch 8 to fully control the Intelliflow VF. Aans so that is whay my A&S PB has speced out in the contract.
    Who is right here. The posters here, or my local pool store?
    I need to know ASAP.

• jj4444444
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Peter11365 -

I thought I could use either controller with the intelliflo. I have been searching threads since you posted this, but have not gotten a firm answer until looking back in this thread, which seem to indicate I can use the easy touch with the VF.

As far as the pipe info, the pool is already built, that was done over a year ago, we are just now nearing the end of the house build and the pool finish will soon be done as will the equipment install, so I need to make my final choices. Thanks for the input though, I will keep that in mind for the next pool!

ncrealestateguy said - The local Pool store here told me that they use Easy Touch 8 to fully control the Intelliflow VF. Aans so that is whay my A&S PB has speced out in the contract.
    Who is right here. The posters here, or my local pool store?

This is the question I have been trying to figure out, can I use the easy touch with the intelliflo? If so, what will it be able to control and what will it not?

subl1002 - you think I should still have 3 separate pumps? The whole pool is already built, all they need to do is the interior finish and putting in the equipment, I am not sure if that makes a difference here.

I really don't know much about pools, so what would be some examples of high flow features?

I will be having a pool and spa and 2 large laminar jets. There is a possibility of adding a small waterfall in the future, and there is plumbing in place for this. What things would be high flow?

Landa mac - I was planning on using the easy touch (I was told the model #'s would be 520545 , 520092 , 520547). If I go with intellitouch the model #'s would be 520509,520139, 520136,520149. I was told my choices for pumps are Intelli flo VF 11012 or Intelli flo VS 11013. The upcharge from what is listed in my initial post is $350 for intelliflo VS, $650 for intelli flo VF, no upcharge for the easy touch and $2966 for the intellitouch.

From the information I have been given, I would like to use the intelliflo VF with the easy touch controllers listed, so my total upcharge would be $650. I am open to the VS possibly, but, as much as I would love the intellitouch, I really don't want to lay out another 3k at this point in my house/pool build.

Thanks so much to everyone for the input so far!

Jennifer

• landa_mac
    15 years ago

Hi Jennifer,

EasyTouch can _currently_ only control the IntelliFlo VS pump.

IntelliTouch can control both the VS and VF IntelliFlo pumps.

I think you would be extremely pleased with an EasyTouch system as you described above and the IntelliFlo VS pump. The only difference is that you will set the VS pump to run at a certain speed for your daily filtration cycles. You can also specify 3 additional speeds for heater, cleaner, freeze protection, etc. The variable flow (VF) pump is basically the same pump with enhanced flow control capabilities. With this pump, you would program it by telling it that you have a 20,000 gallon pool and you want to turn the water over in it once, twice, etc. per day. Then the pump would figure out that it has to run at 28 gallons per minute to achieve that turnover in the scheduled program (say 8am to 5pm) that you specify with EasyTouch. As the filter starts to become plugged up more, the VF pump will compensate to ensure it is flowing what it has calculated that it needs to run at or what you have told it to run at.

• subl1002
    15 years ago

It may not make a difference at this point. The spa, waterfall, infloor cleaning, pool cleaner etc, basically almost anything except circulation is high flow. I would personally use a 2sp in your situation for the circulation, it gives low speed efficiency for the circulation but also is efficient running at high speed for the in floor cleaning. Most builders will tell you to have a seperate spa pump, its pretty standard issue. If you are running your circulation or floor cleaning on a schedule then decide to use the spa with this on, you have to interrupt that in order to divert your flow. Also, keep in mind the intelliflo was designed completely for low speed efficiency, not as a replacement for a multi pump system. This is achieved as a dedicated circulation pump on a small-mid size pool. Once you kick this pump up to start running features, it starts eating up alot more power than a 2 sp or single speed would. This is due to its impeller being designed around moving water at slow speeds, the trade off is high speed efficiency. You will end up spending more money on the pump itself and the electric to run it, over the system that is laid out by your PB. If you want to save money on your circulation and also run the in floor cleaning, then use the 2sp. If you didnt have the infloor then the VS/VF would be good for the circulation. IMO running the entire system off of one pump is not a good idea. Look at the VS vs VF thread, TR explains this pump very well.

• peterl1365
    15 years ago

To jj44444444

Ditto to what Landa Mac said. Except...

If you want to use a single pump, and if you didn't have the spa and the water features, I'd say you could use either pump. With the additional features, I think the added versatility of the VF pump would be worthwhile.

In conjunction with the Intellitouch controller, the VF can have at least 8 different speeds, whereas the VS is limited to a maximum of 4. I have a simple pool with no spa, and I use at least 3 speeds (filtering, vacuuming, skimming).

The VF has two features which I wish I had in my VS: a flowmeter and a wattmeter. These would be very useful in optimizing for energy.

As for subl1002's comments about the high-speed inefficiency of the the VF/VS, well I think the jury's still out on that one. The big question is at what point the VF is less efficient than a conventional pump. I have a pool of around 12,000 gallons, and I run my VS at 2300 rpm for 45 minutes a day for surface skimming, and it creates more than enough flow. I sincerely doubt that my VS is wasting energy compared to a conventional pump spinning at 3450 rpm. I run the pump at 900 rpm (1/4 speed) for about 8-12 hours the rest of the day.

• jj4444444
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, so if I go with the VF then I have to go with the intellitouch is what I am hearing. In that case, does a $2966 upcharge from the easy touch sound correct? That seems really high to me, and will take a while to get any savings from the VF pump.

I would guess that most 80% of the time the pump would just be doing the infloor cleaning and turning of the pool. I won't be using the water features that often and the spa would only be used for an hour or so at a time, perhaps once or twice a week tops on average. Since I am in Phoenix, there would be 3-4 months out of the year that I don't see using the spa, it is just too warm out.

Thanks for the comments and help!

• subl1002
    15 years ago

Peter, the jury's not out on this, it is what it is. The point of diminished returns would differ mainly dependent on what single or 2sp pump you are comparing it to as well as the plumbing. I do know for sure that you can go to the Pentair website and see for yourself that the Intelliflo uses more power at high speed than any other pool pump they make, 2sp or single sp. If you do some more research on this pump (ignoring the loaded non factual opinions), you will easily see what I am saying is true. JJ you will not be saving any money in your initial investment and more than likely costing more in power. If price/budegt are your main concerns, you could use a 2 speed on a timer for the circulation and in floor, and a seperate pump for the spa. If you want inexpensive automation get the suntouch for the spa and light, leave the circulation pump off the automation all together. This entire setup would probably cost you less than just your easytouch upcharge. However if you want the VF/VS just because or for variable power on the spa jets then what I said doesnt matter anyways.

• peterl1365
    15 years ago

I think it's a mistake to look only at the Full Load Amp rating of the motor. The fact is that most applications will not be running the pump at full speed. The thing that strikes me about the 2-speed pump curves is the huge gap between the 3450 and the 1725 rpm curves. There's really nothing in between. As a result, either the pump doesn't move enough water (cleaners, water features) or it moves much more water than necessary. In the latter case, it really doesn't matter how efficient the impeller design is, you're using more energy than you need to.

Further, remember that the FLA rating of the motor is not necessarily how much current the motor draws at full speed. FLA is the maximum amperage that the motor can draw and still dissipate enough heat to prevent the motor from overheating. In many cases, a motor running at full speed will draw considerably less than its FLA rating if the motor is not fully loaded. A good analogy would be a pickup truck; at 65 mph, it consumes more fuel when it is towing a boat than when it isn't.

If someone truly needs all the flow of a 3 hp pump, then they shouldn't be looking at an intelliflo. If you have a more modest pool, say 10,000 to 25,000 gallons, then the intelliflo lets you fine tune your pump to whatever flow rate makes the most sense.

For a good discussion of real world energy usage, check the link. There's a bunch of good hard-core tech info on that site.

• trhought
    15 years ago

Peter-

Thanks for the link to the Intelliflo technical discussion. Obviously this was an Intelliflo only discussion and only addressed low speed efficiency. Variable speed pumps with BPM motors will always use less power than a PSC motor at low speed. There is no argument here.

However, variable speed at higher speeds suffers from large power consumption due to two primary power robbers 1) high current inversion of AC to DC power in the VFD, which is very inefficient and produces a lot of waste heat as a result 2) Compromised impeller design because the impeller can not operate at peak efficiency for a large gpm range so the engineers have to make a choice where they want to optimize the impeller and at the same time a choice at where the impeller will not be very efficient.

In the case of Intelliflo, from their published power, TDH and gpm curves, they have optimized for low speed operation and rightly so, but this choice also causes the higher speed efficiency to be miserable.

Also of note, while I agree with your warning of using FLA to estimate power consumption, I would also add that the Intelliflo curve is true power consumption in watts and not FLA. Using FLA to calculate 2 speed pump power is worst case and, to your point, will only be better in the real world which makes the 2 speed even more favorable over variable speed.

Just wanted to offer a balanced view here. Variable speed has its own merits, mainly low speed efficiency and ability to tune flow to plumbing resistance for optimum performance. But, to suggest using a variable speed pump for multi-tasking, which requires higher speeds, is not doing the energy conscious homeowner any good.

In the case of pools with multiple water features or in-floor cleaners which require higher flows, multiple 1 speed or 2 speed pumps that are tuned for the higher flows will always save energy over a variable speed that is trying to inefficiently cover a large operating range.

jj-

In your case with a floor cleaning system...the floor cleaner will have to run for about 2 hours a day to get full rotation of the heads and full cleaning. For other hours of the day, the pump can ran at low speed allowing the pump to operate easier against lower resistance providing turnover and filtering for your pool. A variable speed or a 2 speed will both provide energy efficient operation for your cleaning and filtering needs. Only you can make the decision if you want to spend the extra money for the variable speed. To help you justify the extra cost for variable speed over 2 speed, use 200 watts per hour savings over 2 speed at low speed and 1,000 watts per hour cost over 2 speed at high speed. Knowing how long you will run the pump at high and low speed will allow you to calculate how much money is saved per day with variable speed and 2 speed, helping to make your decision.

Hope this helps!

• ncrealestateguy
    15 years ago

OK... my pool store is still telling me that an Easy Touch 8 will run the VF?
    Why do they swear by it, and folks here are back and forth on it? Seems to me it is a black and white question.

• subl1002
    15 years ago

Peter for this particular case I dont think it was a mistake to look at the full load amp rating. The poster was discussing running a spa, waterfall, bubblers and the pool all at the same time on one single intelliflo instead of multiple pumps like the PB wanted. Putting all other situations aside, jj does need to be concerned with this pumps high RPM/flow power consumption as does anyone else who wants to run more than circulation with it.

• peterl1365
    15 years ago

tr:

Points taken. For some reason, I was thinking that the AC-DC-AC conversion was relatively efficient. It is true that the losses here could be significant. I find it a little bit difficult to believe that the intelliflo could consume 1 kW more than an equivalent 3 hp pump at high speed, but I don't have any data to back up my reservations.

subl:

I'm not certain the original poster was planning to run all the features simultaneously. If that's the case, then I agree that multiple pumps make some sense. I think the intent was to save some money on the front end by elimininating 1 or 2 pumps. Again, I contend that the user is unlikely to need the full capacity of the intelliflo, at which point the high speed losses may not be significant.

• subl1002
    15 years ago

Peter, I misread the initial posting, youre right, he did not say he wanted to run everything at once. Either way, he would not save much if any money by buying 1 intelliflo over 2 single speeds.

• jj4444444
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just to clarify, I want to purchase 1 intelliflo VF and 1 "regular" pump instead of 3 regular pumps as the PB initially suggested.

As power is more expensive during the day and from what I understand I have to have some circulation during the day on my pool due to the heat (100+) and direct sun in the afternoon. This means I can't run my pool only between 9pm and 9am when power is cheaper. If I use the intelliflo, I can utilize the low settings during the day when I need circulation and then the cleaning (higher flow) after 9pm when power is less expensive. It sounds to me like this will save me money in the long run.

Also, I don't want to run everything at once on one pump. There may be times when I run the laminars and spa at the same time, but the in floor wouldn't be running at the same time.

Jennifer

• subl1002
    15 years ago

There is only a different charge on your electric if you have a special meter which are not all that common in the US. If you have a regular meter, the power company has no way to tell when you use the electric, it is all lumped together. I think with the high flow requirements you have, in floor and 2 "large" deck jets, it looks like the 2sp would be a better option, you just need to calculate it out. I know its hard to decide when you read the forums with all of the hype. When you look at it there are actually only a handfull of people posting that hype the intelliflo. To me, this makes it seem a little bigger than what it is. The reality is that the single and 2 spd pumps dominate the market. Youre never going to get everyone to agree on what is best your really going to need to draw your own conclusion. Use the power info TR provided, factor in the upcharge for the pumps and different automation then base it over how long you will be in the house or the pumps life expectancy. What part of the country are you in BTW?

• jj4444444
    Original Author
    15 years ago

subl1002 -

I am in Phoenix and yes, we are charged different amounts for power at different times of the day. Currently I am on a plan that is cheaper from 9pm to 9am m-f and on the weekends. The current rate for on-peak is just under $.16/kwh and off-peak is just over $.05/kwh. This means we do as much laundry, cooking, etc as possible after 9pm and on the weekends. Therefore we would be trying to get anything pool related to run after 9pm or on the weekend. If we need to run anything for the pool during the day, we would want it to be as efficient as possible.

I was told by another pb that due to the heat and sun in my area I would need to circulate the pool during the day some and not just at night. I have not discussed this with my pb,but he has indicated that this is not true.

• subl1002
    15 years ago

I guess the two tiered power charges will be the norm in the not to distant future. If you can circulate the majority during off peak hours (will have to research this) the intelliflo is not going to pay itself back. Those night rates are cheap. If you got a 2sp and circulate at night, the additional costs for running the 2sp over the intellifo will be marginal, and the savings for running the deck jets and future waterfall with the high of the 2sp, which would be during the day/evening, will save you over the higher flows on the VF/VS quite possibly by a significant amount. Going off TRs 200watt figure (low 2 sp draw over intelliflo), at night it would cost you $2.40 more per month (if my calculation is correct) to run a 2 sp at low 8 hours per night over the intelliflo. At a $600 upcharge it will take 21 years to recoup. This is not factoring in the cost saving of the 2sp high vs the intelliflo higger speeds. Using this same scenario during the day your savings would be $8.00 per month or a breakeven in 6.25 years, this is just on circulation, no high speed and assuming the 200 watt differential is close to correct.