SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Canadian taxpayers: Arrange major increase in tax-free income

joyfulguy
13 years ago

Today is income-tax filing deadline.

There's nothing that you can do to change last year's record ...

... but there's still time to rearrange your system in order to incur lower income tax liability, this year.

Most ordinary residents have been tax-free up to around $10,000. income in recent years, with the level rising by 2 - 3 per cent or so per year.

One certain group, however, had a 50% or so increase in tax-free income in recent years, from about $28,-30,000. or so in 2005 to $46,345. in 2006 ... every one of those dollars not attracting a cent of income tax.

Not just any Tom, Deb or Hattie can qualify, you understand: can't have a major percentage of the population taking advantage of such a nice deal, now, can we? How would we be able to run the country, if that were possible?

The rules are:

-must have substantial investable assets;

-must have only one kind of income, and

-can't work.

If you feel morally obligated to work, to justify the space that you occupy on the earth, the air that you breathe, to pay your way in the world, as all of us in reasonably good health should (unless we're retired) ...

... that's really noble of you - but don't take pay for your work!

If you take the pay to which you feel entitled, or I take my pensions ...

... the game still works to our advantage ...

... but we don't get away tax-free.

It used to work to our advantage until 2005 - but much more so as of 2006.

If you own a substantial number of Canadian stocks and your only income is the dividends that they pay ...

... as of 2005, you were tax-free up to about $28, - 30,000.00 of dividend income.

As of 2006, they calculated in a different way, and you were tax-free until your income was $46,345.00.

Mr. Harper's gift to his rich friends.

When I operated as a personal financial consultant, most of my clients were ordinary citizens, and I felt it part of my duty to them to let them know of some of the tax dodges practised by their rich fellow-citizens.

ole joyfuelled

P.S. It seems to me that we in the western world who have become rather fat and lazy while living high on the hog have some difficult times ahead, and it behooves we oldsters, with that automatic pension income, who are in reasonable health to invest a substantial portion of our time into helping the community to function more smoothly, to encourage people to deal with one another with integrity and kindness, and to encourage our fellow citizens to prepare for those difficult days - especially we who had a taste of the Dirty Thirties when so many people had seriously difficult years with which to cope.

o j

Comments (3)