SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Poll re Income Tax: are you expecting a substantial refund??

joyfulguy
16 years ago

At an investment advisory that I check, they're running a poll today.

The topic, in these days on increasing interest in the income tax system, is asking what level of income tax refund we are expecting.

-large enough to buy a new car . . . . . . . . . . . 3%

-big enough to go on a major shopping spree . . . . . 28%

-sufficient to finance dinner and movie (skip popcorn) 16%

-I plan my tax carefully - don't pay more than I have to 14%

-*Refund?? ... I wish!!* . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 39%.

Almost half say that they expect a refund.

Many personal financial advisors recommend working out your system so that you get a minimal refund ... or, better yet, none.

If you have a $1,200.00 refund, you made a $100.00 loan (interest-free) to the government at the end of January last year, another $100.00 at the end of February, building to $300.00 at the end of March. You are willing to have another $100.00 monthly added to that interest-free loan to the government ... until the grand total arrives at $1,200.00 at the end of December.

In Canada, that loan used to continue at $1,200. until the deadline date for the tax returns to be filed at the end of April, then began to accrue interest as of May 1 of the following year ... 15 months later.

A few years ago, they advanced the date at which they begin to pay interest to the middle of June. About the time that they begin to pay out the refunds, I guess.

If some of you are happy with being so generous ...

... I'm happy to join the line of folks that would like to receive the benefit of your largesse, making us a substantial interest-free loan (even if it may be somewhat temporary).

I'm thinking of buying some stocks, at the moment, and may use my current credit card to buy them, while applying for a 0.9% interest rate credit card that'll run for a number of months and transferring that amount to it when it is issued.

Then pay off that loan just before the low rate runs out.

And be careful not to charge anything else on that card until I pay off the full amount just before the low rate runs out ... and, being a senior, I can pay off that amount at my bank without transaction fee.

Then cut up the card, if I feel like it.

Maybe keep it for use when dealing with issues online, insisting that the issuer maintain a low credit limit, throughout.

I hope that you can avoid paying too high a rate of income tax.

I paid about 9% last year, I think.

ole joyful

Comments (29)