SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fponzani

Diving boards - spring base, spring board, or both?

fponzani
16 years ago

I need to select a diving board for our new pool. The kids, have become "experts" on this from swimming at friends' houses. They complain that some of boards are too stiff. Some parents I've talked to were worried that the jumping would get out of hand if there was too much spring.

So I'm looking for recommendations. I'll have to go with a 8' board because of mounting considerations (auto-cover and coping). I'm using a salt water chlorinator and I'm worried about the salt causing a maintenance problem with the base. I understand that all out corrosion shouldn't be a problem if the chemistry is right. But I'll be bummed if I have to paint the base every year to keep it looking nice, however.

From what I can tell, spring bases always have exposed steel springs, even if the rest of the base has a fiberglass cover. Both SR Smith and Interfab have non-spring bases that are completely covered.

So should I go with spring base and spring board? Or a stiff base and spring board? Or, of course, I could go with a spring base with a stiff board. Or I could just go with what my pool supplier recommends. But I'd rather get some input from the "field reps". (That would be you guys.)

Oh, BTW, I think my pool is on the border of Type II and III, as far as I can tell. Maybe another drink will clear that up.

Thanks,

Frank (Who is particularly long winded tonight.)

Comment (1)