SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hgluckman_gw

Problem granite removed

hgluckman
14 years ago

In my previous post (see link below), I summarized the problems we had with our granite installation. Today, the fixes began.

Here's our nearly finished kitchen. It's been like this for a couple of weeks (this might have happened sooner, but we were away on vacation).

From Kitchen Remodel

As I described before, the problem was that instead of seaming the granite at the sink as we requested, they seamed over the dishwasher, and in the corner - and not all that well. The fabricator agreed to replace it, and we were able to get the next slab in the bundle.

They weren't very happy about it - the owner of the fabrication shop came to supervise - but today they took out the bad counters. Here's a picture of them sawing through the seam over the dishwasher.

From Kitchen Remodel

With a little difficulty, they got the countertop removed in about an hour. I had removed all of the drawers and door fronts before they got there.

From Kitchen Remodel

An additional problem that became apparent when the granite was installed was that the cabinets weren't all level. We were reusing our existing cabinets, but some did get moved, and I would have though that the GC would have checked this. Once the granite was gone, the GC started working on leveling the counters.

The main problem they ran into was that when our cabinet maker (we did have a few new cabinets built to match) installed the oven cabinet he secured it very well to the drawer base at the end of the counter - with screws in the oven compartment! With some grunting and groaning, and breaking of screws, but no visible evidence, they were able to get the cabinets leveled, and ready for the new counters.

The new countertop is scheduled to go in tomorrow - I'll post progress (multiple fingers crossed!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous granite post

Comments (4)