SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Quickly- Help me decide on grille pattern for new box bay DH wind

scrappy25
10 years ago

We are enlarging our eating area window from its current 78W x 48T to a 78W x 65T box bay window (two side by side double hungs). Current grille pattern is 4 lites wide by 2 lites tall for each pane (see picture). I have similar windows all through the back of the house with similar grille pattern.

First picture is existing 45 inch tall window in eating area

Second picture is existing 53 inch tall bedroom window. You can see that the lites are slightly taller since the window is slightly taller.
{{!gwi}}

Since the new box window is being extended closer to the ground by about 18 inches and the existing spaces in the grilles (lites) on the eating area window are 10 inches tall, I thought that I should add one more row of lites in each pane for a pattern that is 4 lites wide by 3 lites tall.

My proposed grill pattern New window 65 inches tall
{{!gwi}}

The window company (Sunrise) is questioning if that is too busy a pattern and suggested 3 lites wide by 2 lites tall pattern. While I agree that this is a more pleasing pattern, I am worried that the lites wil be much bigger than the other windows in the house.

Sunrise proposed grille pattern New window 65 inches tall
{{!gwi}}

Since the new windows will have almost square glass areas (each pane about 33" W x 30" tall), I thought also about a 9 over 9 pattern ( 3 lites side, 3 lites tall for each pane).

Another possibility proposed grille patter 65 inches tall
{{!gwi}}

Finally, should I just repeat the 4 lite wide 2 lite tall pattern and not worry about the size of the lites? The lites will then be a lot more vertical in orientation. I can't find an example of this pattern in an almost square pane.

Thanks for any help! They want my answer quickly so that the window can be made.

Comments (3)