SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scubated

Paper Towel Holder?

scubated
16 years ago

This may seem stupid but I was wondering what everyone does with their paper towels. Do you just get one of those stick on a base holders that you can move around or is there some other cool or upscale way to do the paper towels? We usually use them to dry our hands instead of a dishcloth so keeping them near the sink is a must.

Comments (47)

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

I have a stainless steel move around (stick on a base)paper towel holder.

• Related Discussions

Paper towel holder help

Q

Comments (1)
    Perhaps this towel dispenser/shelf combo would work for you. Here is a link that might be useful: towel dispenser
    ...See More

For sprtphntc: paper towel holder info

Q

Comments (1)
    that's perfect!!! thanks for doing the leg work, i just added link to my favorites.. much appreciated!! have a good one!!
    ...See More

Where do you keep your paper towel holder?

Q

Comments (20)
    Mine worked. I got a super short one at Target. I have linked one below, but IIRC, mine was even shorter. Maybe the size used for sidelight curtains down the sides of a front door? I've also seen oval shaped instead of round, which I think might work better. As a precaution, I added two of those square peel and stick pads made by 3M, like the Command hooks you can pull off. So if the rod tries to slip down the cabinet wall, the pads give a little resistance. I though, honestly, it might not hold, but it has, and the upper lip of the door provides a good resistance angle to rip the towels across. This is in a 15" cabinet, tho, so no room to slide around. Here is a link that might be useful: Rod
    ...See More

paper towel holders, placement

Q

Comments (7)
    I like my brushed stainless Martha Stewart portable paper towel holder that I just got a few weeks ago. After going without one for so many years, I really appreciate having somewhere to put my PT, and I think it looks inconspicuous on the counter. I decided against putting a holder inside a cabinet because I sometimes have wet hands when I reach for one.
    ...See More
  • glad
    16 years ago

undercabinet; it is from bbb.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

I ordered a ceramic paper towel holder from the Workshop of David T Smith. I don't see one on their website right now, but they are all the time adding new items.

You can see mine in my FKB pictures -it's yellow with brown, far side of sink on the island.

Here is a link that might be useful: David T Smith

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Found a picture - sorry, not so great.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bungalowdawn
    16 years ago

There was a very recent thread about this...search paper towel and it should show up.

• elizgonz
    16 years ago

There's a nice move-around one that has a clear acrylic stick. I think I saw it at the Container Store when I was there yesterday.

• ricklish
    16 years ago

I've got a different idea for my paper towel storage. Unfortunately, I've still got a good two weeks before my cabs are installed so I can't show it yet. I'll try to describe and then follow up with pics when I get them.

In our island (or 'continent' as we are now calling it!) we have a narrow, dead space next to the drawers on the prep side of the island. It's caused by angled cabs on the sides. In this dead space - which will be a triangle shaped niche - we'll have vertical paper towel storage. I saw something similar in a kitchen design mag where they had removed a drawer front and created a horizontal cubby just under the counter to hold the paper towel roll. HTH

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

Yup, I read that paper towel thread last year and used the advice given there. Decided to get the "simplyhuman" towel holder. You can mounted it under the cabinet or on the wall. Since we have under cabinet lighting the mount is on the wall for us. The result is the best towel holder I've ever had!

• ronald2
    16 years ago

Meg 711, where did you buy your towel holder? Can you pull the paper towels off with one hand?

Thanks!

• abbycat9990
    16 years ago

An upright metal holder that's weighted and allows for one-hand tear off of the paper towels. From BBB:

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Mine is in storage, but when the kitchen is done, it is an iron ice tong (tongs) from the late 1800's. (used to pick up blocks of ice in an old fashioned ice house).

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

Mine is similar (or the same?) as what ricklish described - I've done it now in two houses and always get comments on how it works so well. You can see it here from a couple of different views:

• mcraney
    16 years ago

Allison704 I love your paper towel holder!! Can you tear off a paper towel with one hand?

I hope someone else is making a similar product since it is no longer available at David T. Smith.

Thank you.

• epiccycle
    16 years ago

I have the same holder as abbycat and I LOVE it. It's called Perfect Tear and has a ratchet mechanism that holds the roll snugly but allows you to easily tear off a towel with one hand. Makes a click-click-click sound when you turn the spindle and has a nice heavy base so it stays put. LNTs has them too.

• eriepatch
    16 years ago

Meg I love that towel holder too. Is it black? I would love to find a towel holder that is ORBronze.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

McRaney, I've never seen them anywhere else. Check back. They add things weekly to their website.

Yes, you can tear off just one paper towel. The bottom has a raised area in the center that holds the paper towel roll centered, even when almost empty.

• rmlanza
    16 years ago

eriepatch, mine is ORB, got it at Target for like $11 or something ridiculous. But it goes well with my faucet and knobs and it's nicely weighted. Here's a pic, it's not great, the holder looks black and we didn't have our ORB switchplates on yet, but you get the idea.

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Very simple black wireframe one with a suction cup base for me - its nice for when its time to show off the kitchen I can move it into cabinet under sink and suction it to the bottom of the cab.

• scubated
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I am sure one of them will do the trick very nicely. I will have to show this thread to hubby and see what he thinks will work best.

• eriepatch
    16 years ago

thanks rmlanza....I will look at Target!

• mcraney
    16 years ago

Thanks Allison704. I will visit the Smith website regularly. Hopefully the paper towel holder will be back in stock soon.

• meg711
    16 years ago

I just read this thread and realized that people had asked me questions. Sorry about that.

I bought our towel holder on eBay but I can't remember the name of the seller. I actually called the seller to clarify the color and the man who answered said it was rust. When I got it, I realized he meant that it was rustic. It's not really black, but it's also not the ORB or rust color that I wanted. I've seen similar holders in a white finish, golden finish, black and, more recently, the rust color that I really wanted. I think Ballard and Lillian Vernon both had versions too.

The only problem with this holder is that if you yank a paper towel with one hand, and with force, it causes the holder to fall backwards. We have two dings in our window sill now but no one will 'fess up. I've been meaning to try museum wax, but I am afraid it might stain the granite.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• meg711
    16 years ago

I forgot to mention that if you do an internet or eBay search on wrought iron towel holder--some combo of those words--you should find a few towel holders.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Mcraney, should I mention it was not inexpensive, so you don't have sticker shock? :D

• bellsrus
    16 years ago

ricklish - What you described sounds exactly like the triangular dead space that we will have. Will yours be behind a door that opens? Or will it be an open space without any door? Right now our KD plans to put a 1" thick piece of wood to cover that dead space (which would not open), but I've been wondering if there might be a use for that space.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Mcraney, they have added 5 paper towel holders to their website. You'll have to click on the Category to pull up "Paper Towel Jars."

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper Towel jars

• ricklish
    16 years ago

bellsrus - our triangular niche will not have a door on it. My KD also wanted to do what yours did and put a non functioning panel on the space. I convinced him I really wanted to use that space and it should be perfect for a paper towel roll placed vertically.

mnhockeymom - you've taken the idea a step farther with hooks for towels - great idea! I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

• teedup1
    16 years ago

$250 for a paper towel jar (holder)?????!!!!!!! Whatever floats YOUR boat.

• boxiebabe
    16 years ago

Here's a link to the one that we went with. Bought it at Bed, Bath & Beyond for $25. Seems like most people these days don't want one that mounts on the cabinet or wall - but personally, I don't want one on the counter that I have to move everytime I wipe down the counters, so I went with this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: SimpleHuman wall/cabinet mount PT holder

• jtsgranite4us
    16 years ago

I have the same one as boxiebabe. I have it mounted inside the sink cabinet door. I prefer to have our paper towels hidden from view.

This paper towel holder is great. Very easy to use and so far it has held up well.

• mrs_tlc
    16 years ago

We have one similar to the one from BB&B which was also purchased there. It's brushed nickel and I love it. It used to hang under the old cabinets but the new ones have under cabinet lighting so DH mounted it vertically in the cabinet under the sink. Very accessible and one hand pull-off because it has the wrachet action thing. I love it!

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Teedup1, I don't know why you always have to comment on the cost of things in such a rude manner when the price is not what you would consider paying. I believe it was you who did the same thing on my bedskirt thread awhile back.

Not that i have to justify the cost to you, but it is a very large, heavy, well-made handmade ceramic piece. The price is comparable to a vase or lidded jar that was thrown on the wheel by an artist;, shaped, painted, glazed and fired in a kiln.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Allison, I love that crockery. What a perfect piece of artwork for the counter.

• cpang74
    16 years ago

I got a great oil rubbed bronze looking paper towel holder with a fluer de lis on top -mine sits on the counter but you can buy under cabinet too...it's from Ballard Designs. They have in black and distressed cream too. I have a Delta Oild Rubber Bronze faucet and it looks great next to the sink in what Ballard calls the RUST color.

• mcraney
    16 years ago

Allison, Thanks for letting me know the paper towel jars were on the David Smith website.

I didn't get sticker shock - the pricing is in line for a hand crafted art piece. I'm going to keep watching their website for the perfect piece for my kitchen re-do. I'm holding out for one with flowers on it.

Thanks again!

Julie

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Julie, I looked this morning and they had one with flowers.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

You're welcome, Julie. That is the first and only one I've seen with flowers. You might try emailing them to see if they do special request. Can't hurt.

If you sign up for their emails, they let you know when they are posting numerous new pieces at one time - like a sale, but without sale prices. They just did one a few weeks ago and usually do it before the holidays too.

• remodelqueen
    16 years ago

I would like one of those jars for my patio table, but I am really shocked by the price. We all have different opinions, that's the best part of GW!!!!!

• napagirl
    16 years ago

I want a paper towel jar, too! But its not in my budget right now, not until I get the rest of the house done. Then I'd like one in cobalt blue. (((sigh)))

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Cobalt blue would be gorgeous. I don't think I've ever seen blue in their pottery pieces though.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

They've added more paper towel jars, Julie.

Here is a link that might be useful: David T Smith

• arleneb
    16 years ago

I think what Allison actually has is a beautifully crafted piece of art that JUST HAPPENS to hold paper towels. It would earn and deserve a place in her home even if all it did was look beautiful. I've paid that and more for art pieces that just sat there!! I've bookmarked David T. Smith for the future!! Thanks for sharing that, Allison!

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago

If I had the budget I'd grab one of those ceramic holders in a heart beat. I love the idea of having the paper towels completely enclosed (no worries of spills, etc.) and they are indeed gorgeous works of art.

Maybe if I get some birthday / Christmas money...

• mcraney
    16 years ago

Allison, thanks for posting that more paper towel jars had been added. I contacted David T. Smith and spoke with Eric who was extremely helpful. According to Eric, more jars will be added each Friday at 10:00 AM Eastern time and they do accept special requests. The requests are shown to their artists who then decide if they want to take on the special request.

Napagirl, Eric said the colors they use are blue, brown, green and a couple of yellows. When you have time, scroll through all their pottery pieces and see if there is a cobalt blue. I found this statement when reading about their pottery designs: Our "Redstone Pottery" has the look of salt glazed stoneware, but is actually earthenware pottery with a grey slip covering with typical cobalt blue decoration. I was told that David T. Smith has never priced a paper towel jar higher than $300. That will give us a target amount to begin saving for.

Sarchlos, thank you for noting they had one with flowers. I liked the flowers but not the brown color.

Hostagrams, you are right - the jar is an beautiful art piece that holds paper towels.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Thanks, hostagrams, and you're welcome. I actually purchased ours for DH for Father's Day. He's the Paper Towel King - won't even use a new/clean dish cloth.

That's great, Julie. I was surprised to see the newest additions priced at 300. I've never seen them over 250.

An architect, who was recently took a position on our Architectural Review Committee, was at our home on Sunday. He was commenting on my jar and was surprised when he walked around the island only to realize it was a paper towel jar. He took a photo to show his wife, who is also an architect. I think DTS needs to start sending me a commission! lol

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

Here's a beautiful pottery holder & it's *only* $125.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper Towel Jar