SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
perel_gw

Very strange intermittent tub/shower leak when off

perel
17 years ago

I'm having a very baffling (at least to me) intermittent water leak from my bathtub. Sometimes, there will be water coming out of the basement ceiling underneath the bath, and when I check there is no standing water on the floor and no water running. I've fixed several water leaks the PO left for me, but this final one - and why it's still leaking - baffles me.

This is a tub&shower with the "three knobs" type diverter valve. The showerhead is a handheld type with a built-in vacuum breaker.

The leak seems to only occur well after a shower has been taken, when the water is turned off and the diverter valve is left 100% to shower mode. Turning the diverter to a halfway position produces a rush of water from the faucet and I can hear the vacuum breaker sucking air in. This stops the leak from the basement ceiling.

I'm baffled as to why this leak would occur sometimes, but not all the time, and only when the water is turned OFF. It doesn't leak when someone is actually taking a shower, even a long one.. it only starts a while after the shower is over and the water is turned off.

Comment (1)