SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidandkasie

shower water not staying hot. tub if fine.

davidandkasie
17 years ago

ok, here is the run down.

master combo tub/shower takes about 2 minutes to get hot when running the tub. the water from the tub faucet is very hot once it heats up. turn on the shower, with nothing but the hot water running, and you get a hot shower for 2-3 minutes, then it goes to lukewarm. if you turn the diverter back to the tub, the water heats right back up to hot and will stay that way for another couple minutes before cooling again.

the fixture is an older 3 valve price pfister, no antiscald, so i have no clue why it is doing this.

i do have a handheld shower head. i took it off and cleaned the head hoping that maybe the flow was just restricted, but it was pretty clean to begin with.

the house originally had old one piece shower head, with teh arm and head made together. they were not low flow, and i replaced the master with this head. the other bath has the original style and it will steam you out of the bathroom. ours in the master will not even produce steam on straight hot water!

the heater is a ~3 year old 50 gallon electric feeding into 3/4" copper pipe going under our slab. this problem is more prevalent in cold weather than hot weather, which i understand. but it still does it during summer, just to a lesser degree.

i replaced the valves last year due to the old ones leaking, and having this same problem prior to replacement.

any ideas?

Comments (9)