SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snickster

Bosch on demand hot water heater

snickster
15 years ago

Moved in our new house a few months ago and fell prey to installing an instant natural gas hot water heater.

Originally was going to do a recirculating HW system with 2 conventional tanks.

My wife loves to take loooong showers and for some reason washes clothes, dishes and anything else right before I take a shower, so I thought and endless supply of hot water would be nice.Bosch sounded like a good brand.

So far we are having mixed results.

Our plumber really wanted to put a manifold pipe system in . All the water in the house goes through this and it is distributed out to all individual fixtures with an individual pipe. The big advantage of this is that you can turn any one fixture off at the manifold and still use everything else .The water goes there first , then to the HW heater , then back to the maniifold and then to the point of use. That can take a lot of time !

Also , apparently the Bosch HW heater has to have a certain minimum flow through it , or it wont heat the water.

We live on top of a bluff that is 700 feet higher than the town's water system , so the flow varies and the flow is just ok when at it's best. A few of the faucets (mainly a kitchen Price Pfister seems to have a lot of air mixed in and fills up a gallon jug slowly even though it appears to be a good flow. This is the biggest problem faucet because the hot water heater takes a while to kick in and seems to come and go . When it goes out , then you have to wait for the water to go all through the pipes again. It can literally take 1min 45 seconds for hot water to appear again.

Does anyone have any advice on adjusting the Bosch so that it will heat on a lower flow? Should I install a 300 gal tank and pump so I can have good water flow at all times ?

Should I get rid of the Bosch and go back to 2 80 gal tanks ?

There is no replumbing the house option at this point.

I suppose I could put small 4 gal H20 heaters under all the sinks to add as a buffer.

The one thing I do know is this set up at present is not a viable option.

Open for advice .

Thanks !

PS The Shower works great and it is nice not to have to worry about running out of hot water . We have 3 shower heads . When the pressure is reasonably good , it is wonderful as 2 of them are used as adjustable massage jets.

When the pressure is poor there is not much massage to it.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals