SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
derek_70

Help needed......plumbing for spa?

derek_70
15 years ago

I'm in the process of pouring an equipment pad and need to know how many and what size pipes to stub out for an in-ground spa. I have a small pool (10,000 gallons) and will be hiring a contractor to put a spa next to it with a spillover. The equipment will be approx. 60-70' from the spa. I currently have a 2hp pump and a 48sqft D.E. filter for the pool (& 400,000btu heater). Had the pool re plastered about 2 years ago and upgraded the 1.5" plumbing to 2" from the skimmer to the pump (about 40'), however there is only 1 skimmer and 1 drain, the drain connects at the bottom of the skimmer box (should I add a tee below the skimmer and run another pipe to the pump?) There is only 2 returns in the pool but I added 2 pond spitters as well that spit from the planter box (not much pressure relief but it helped).

My plan is to run a 2" suction from the spa to a tee @ the pump and tie in with the 2" at the pump...should I then go 2.5" to the pump? What do I do for return to the spa? What size and how many for a blower system to the spa? What about a booster pump? Do I run a separate suction from the spa for the booster and what size?

I'm not a plumber or a hydrologist so I won't be offended when I'm told what I have or am planning to do is wrong. I have all the decking removed and trench is open, I just need to get the pipe in the ground before closing it up on that side of the yard and I seem to know just enough to get me into trouble. Although I did a good job on the 3 18" waterfalls into the pool using the old 1hp pump and 1.5" plumbing.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!