SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariend

AARP--watch out for this

mariend
14 years ago

Just got a big folded ad from AARP, asking my permission and email so they can contact me with updates and conference calls etc.

NO NO NO

Plus they will only share my information with the vendor contracted for this job, but do not tell you what vendor or what they sell.

They also are starting a new quartly e-newspaper. Like I need all this. I don't want all the stuff now I get, why would I want more.

Yes, I know they try to help the seniors, but to me they seem to sell only insurance etc.

Enough venting for now.

Comments (18)

• patti43
    14 years ago

I agree 100%. There isn't a week goes by that either Harry or I don't get a mailing from them. Just imagine if they had my e-mail address!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I would kind of like to join AARP, but just haven't because of the fear of getting a lot of junk mail started up. Is there maybe a way you can opt out of them sharing you name and addy with 'vendors'?

I've presently gotten my junk mail down to about nothing, by asking that my name and address be removed from lists, and asking the few things I belong to, to not share my info. So far, so good.

Sue

• pekemom
    14 years ago

We got their Hartford auto insurance, supposedly a better deal for seniors. A lady backed into us in a parking lot, she had the same insurance, so guess what, they didn't pay, said it couldn't be proven, that I would just agree with my husband on how the accident happened. We had another person in the car, they said that person would just take our side too. So we switched back to our State Farm guy.

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

If I was traveling again then I would join againfor the travel and motel discounts but I quit a long time ago

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

I've used them to book flights! YES!

And with travel agent, on booking international trip, being I was an AARP member, got $50 off the trip.

• socks
    14 years ago

I haven't joined either. Seems like opening Pandora's Box. Auto Club often gives the same discount as AARP.

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Since being a member for a few years, I have not been deluged with stuff. Only couple reminders when it is time to renew. No big deal there!

• alisande
    14 years ago

I feel differently about AARP, which advocates for its members and remains one of the most powerful lobbying forces in Washington. I've been a member for more than 15 years.

I get a lot of useful information from their magazine and other publications, and they have a huge selection of fact sheets and booklets on a wide variety of subjects.

I agree with you about not giving permission for conference calls, etc, but to me there's a lot more to AARP than insurance.

• okwriter
    14 years ago

I agree, Susan. I am always amazed by the people who think AARP is an insurance company. *sigh*

• jannie
    14 years ago

I used AARP for travel disco8unts and enjoy their magazine. Not interested in any of their insurance ads. I already have good health, life and auto policies with other companies. .

• wildchild
    14 years ago

I can get the same "perks" elsewhere without the constant insurance pitches and without supporting their lobbying efforts which are contrary to my political beliefs.

Anything that says AARP on it goes straight into the shredder.

One year DH signed up with them. He's more gullible than me. LOL I gave a whole lot of money to second amendment rights groups that year to counteract his contribution. :-)

DH has evolved and understands that they are a political lobby so now he's on my team regarding them. LOL

• patti43
    14 years ago

Probably the reason people get confused as to whether AARP is an insurance company or not is because all the Hartford insurance information comes in an envelop with AARP as the return address. Got another one today.

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

we're members, but for some reason they send us double magazines, ect..seems they'd have some sort of computer to organize, lol...

oh i've used BOTH aarp and triple a on the same room....

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

I really don't see anything to "watch out for". It's an ad. Respond or not, as you see fit. The simple fact that it exists and came into your mailbox poses no risk.

There is only a risk if you respond. So don't.

If you don't want mail from them - don't sign up. If you get mail after you have joined, well, YOU signed up. If you want it to stop, cancel your membership. It's not rocket science.

• lesterd
    14 years ago

Cancelling your AARP membership does NOT stop the mail. The cancellation increases the amount of mail they send to get you to rejoin. Learned that one thru experience.

I will never waste my money with them again.

• marlingardener
    14 years ago

We are not nor ever have been members of AARP, but it's not for lack of trying on their part! We constantly get "membership cards" and solicitations in the mail--at least two a month, and sometimes oftener.
    I have requested that we be taken off their mailing list, but to no avail. I guess getting off their list IS rocket science!

• nicole__
    14 years ago

Their Hartford insurance is half what I was paying! AND I have lower deductibles and "more" insurance! So putting up with the junk mail is a small price....:0)

• Silverdove
    14 years ago

AARP has my email address, but I don't notice much email from them. I do notice that I receive letters trying to sell me AARP car insurance, even though I already have AARP car insurance.

I enjoy the AARP magazine and newsletter. The magazine contains more articles of interest to me that most of the other magazines I get. That alone is worth the price of the membership.