SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
posskat

help!! new cedar decking--what to use on it???

12 years ago

we had only a small window of time to get our old deck (rotten) ripped out and a new one put in. it's 13'x 24', and they used cedar, i think from a local store. the deck faces south, with a row of cedars (8'tall and 10'wide)on the south side, and the house bordering the north and west side, and mostly open on the east side; some trees 30' away.

it was just finished yesterday, with some fir railings. not fancy, just functional, but i would like to look after it properly, and we have no experience w/this. not looking forward to stripping or sanding every 2 years or so. it's only about a foot off the ground, and not sure how long the lumber dried (or not!) prior to our purchase. the guy there recommended oiling it w/canola oil and paint thinner..........i've been reading some posts and trying to find out what is best to use w/out stripping and sanding. is that 'one step' any good, or are there any new, decent products out there? can't seem to find any very recent posts, and would appreciate any help for out there, cuz we are for sure greenhorns.....thanks ever so much. ps. doesn't look like the weather w/be nice enough for another month or so; should i hold off till warmer weather?

thanks!

Comments (8)