SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gammyt

Strange toilet noise

GammyT
17 years ago

My husband has cancer and long story short, he can only sleep if he sits up and the powder room toilet is on overdrive. I am very handy but I am lost on this one.

The house and plumbing is only 3 years old. The powder room is ground level. If it matters we have a basement with overhead sewer. The only time the ejector pit pump turns on is when it gets water from the humdifier on the furnace or the AC. The sump is seperate and it goes into the storm sewer.

Anyway, Powder room. The drain pipe has started banging really hard when you flush, but only sometimes. I was upstairs getting some sleep at 5am today and hubby flushed the toliet in the powder room. It banged so loud it woke me up and our bedroom isn't even above the powder room. (The powder room is the only 1st floor toilet. The two upstairs toliets don't have this problem.)

I went downstairs and faked needing to blow my nose then flushed, it didn't bang. It was garbage day, Hubby asked me if I heard how loud the garbage man was. He was sleeping again by the time the garbage man really came. (He can only sleep sitting up so the recliner is his bed.)

What is the cause and how can I fix it? I can see the toilet drain from the basement and it looks fine with no leaks.

My best guess is that air is getting in somehow? Would it help if for a quick fix I caulked the joints of the PVC I can see? Hubby can't worry about this, he has enough worries.

If caulk won't help then it has to be taken care of. I need help there then with explaining to a plumber that it only happens sometimes when you flush and it sounds pretty much like a jackhammer on PVC. LOL

Comments (4)