SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwrede

Newbie needs help narrowing down options

mwrede
15 years ago

Hi, I am new to the pool forum. I have been reading the posts for a few weeks and are feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the choices. I have tried to talk to a few PBs but I am getting the sense that everyone is telling me what they type of pool they built/ product they sell is better or are trying to upsell me and I am in need of some more unbiased opinions.

I was hoping to get some suggestions based on our circumstances to narrow down my search.

I have never owned a pool before but my husband had a vinyl lined pool growing up in Northern NJ. We moved to NC (Durham area) 8 months ago. We are in our early thirties no kids but plan to start a family very soon. We are probably going to be in this house 3-7 years depending on where circumstances take us.

Our preferences:

My husband feels very strongly on having a deep end on the pool he insists on 8 feet. I have heard that we might be able to get away with 7 if he does not plan on diving head first (heÂs 6 4"). (HeÂs agreed to do away with the diving board  as I feel like anything plastic like that cheapens the look of the pool).

At the same time I, being 5 5" would like to have as big of an area below 4 - 4.5 feet to hang out where I donÂt have to swim at all times  plus a pool with a steep incline is sort of uncomfortable to walk in. (I know there is some kind of formula that allows you to figure out the angle of the incline.)

I would also like to have some really shallow area i.e. oversized step/baja shelf with letÂs say up to a foot of water so that our kids when they are young can play in - also our dog is little (miniature eskie) and enjoys wading but not swimming, plus I probably will like sitting/laying there myself. Not sure whatÂs most cost effective in terms of size, placement etc.

So we need enough length to accommodate these things  we were thinking something like 18x36 or 18x38 not sure if thatÂs enough.

We are almost convinced we have to have an automatic cover for safety  for when we have young kids around. We also have mature pines and other trees in the backyard that drop leaves, cones etc. Also pools are not too popular with the local Northcarolinians as far a resale which is strange to us but any features we can incorporate to increase safety and minimize maintenance costs we hope will appeal to people when we eventually sell our house.

If we do the cover we want to hide the mechanism as much as possible  with cantilever coping etc.

We like geometric pools, i.e. roman but we probably have to do a rectangle to make it easy for an automatic cover.

We are looking for something that is relatively easy to maintain. (I know IÂll be the one doing all the work even though my husband is the one thatÂs really pushing for the pool). We are also trying to renovate our house in a green/eco friendly way so if they make financial sense weÂd like to include features that save energy and are friendly to the environment.

We were sure weÂd do a salt water system but have read that most automatic covers would corrode if in contact with saline water, so we have to decide on an alternative sanitizer i.e ozone, oxidizer, ecosmarte, pro-g etc.

We would like to be able to use the pool when the outside temperatures are above 65 degrees (which in NC can be April to October with an occasional warm day or two in the middle of winter). I have to admit I need the water to be super warm for me to enjoy it - so not sure if a heat pump or heater would be the best choice for us in terms of how many degrees they have to add to the water temp and the initial vs. monthly energy costs.

If we could afford it my first preference would be gunite, then fiberglass (which I understand is hard to find with deeper ends  also not customizable), then vinyl.

We have a very flat accessible backyard. We already have a fence in place and an older brick patio but need to overhaul our landscaping and hope to add a pergola and some kind of an outdoor kitchen/fireplace area.

I just got a quote for a 16x38 vinyl pool  which I assumed was the least expensive type of pool, but after the auto cover and cantilever concrete coping, heat pump, full width vinyl covered steps with sundeck and 2 led lights the quote came out to $50,000 (21k for the extras) and I am in a bit of a shock.

For that price I thought we could go with concrete. I know we canÂt spend too much on the pool itself because this is not our forever home and in our area a pool will not really increase the value of our house (the whole package with landscaping/ outdoor kitchen etc. hopefully might).

I know the auto cover is big part of the cost- I did speak to a pool cover company and I understand that you can buy that from them and theyÂll work with the PB but that could save us a thousand or two on the markup. Not sure how else to save money besides getting multiple quotes and negotiating?

Other general things that I need to figure out whatÂs best for our circumstances:

size/type of pipes using for plumbing

filters (sand , D.E. Cartridge)

pump (multiple speed vs. variable speed, Pentair vs. other brands)

pool cleaner (one PB said we might not need one with an auto cover- is canÂt be true?),

lighting (it is worth doing led?)

coping material - cost of different types of cantilever coping

I know I have a ton of questions. If anyone can point me one way vs. another that would be so helpful! DH would like to get this pool in in the next few months and I am a bit overwhelmed researching all this while at the same time starting to plan a full master bath and kitchen reno etc.

Thanks!

Comments (10)