SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Unique water treatment situation...

jscozz
16 years ago

In my new home I have a unique situation needing water treatment.

I have domestic water usage AND a geothermal system for hetaing/cooling teh house. I can't treat teh geothermal side since there is SO MUCh water flowing through it that it would overwhelm any pH or softner... so my geothermal units are cupernickle and should stand up OK... unfortunately they used copper pipe from the units to the plastic well supply/return... which may be a problem in the lon run once you see my water numbers below...

For the domestic side, I need to deal with the following numbers:

Lead: 5.4 ug/l

Iron: 1.03 mg/l

Manganese: pH: 4.32

gross alpha: 2.3 pCi/l

No VOCs or mercury.

They did not do calcium, magnesium or TDS in the first test... although I though they were. They are doing them now and I will have in a few days.

The one I am getting different opinions from everyone on is the pH... some say that a magoxide/calcite neutralizer will not get it up high enough... other say it will and soda ash is not needed...

The water does have a slight smell to it... but I have not yet put the chlorine tablets in that the well driller gave me... i am wiating to connect the house plumbing so thet it will flush the entire system.

So, I am guessing that a softner and acid neutralizer are definates... but what is best and what will work, especially with the LOW ph? Questionable is a pre-filter... and is a carbon tank overkill for cleaning up taste and smell?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to bu the tanks locally from my well driller and install them myself... i just want to make sure I have everything covered.

Also, I have 3 bathrooms... master bath has a 3 head + 6 body spray shower... I want to make sure that i can properly soften and neutralize even at high demad rates (i.e. 10 gpm or so). Do I need tanks with 1" in/out and special valves, or will a basic residential unit do the job for me?

And how long will my copper to and from the geothermal units last with untreated 4.3pH water flowing through it?

Comments (9)