SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbiep_gw

Throat problem,swallowing and throat clearing in basset hound

debbiep_gw
17 years ago

One of my bassets(lucy)which will be 4 in january,I have noticed her doing some swallowing more than usual.Its not all the time.She may do it for a day and then not again for several days.I first noticed it after a walk,she does pull alot bit I use a harness on her,I don't know if wearing a harness her throat could be affected from the pulling.She doesn't seem to be sick,she eats well and drinks well but the swallowing and throat clearing sound she makes is beginning to cause me some concern.She will be going to the vet but by asking questions here I always feel more prepared when I go to the vets.Shes not a dog that eats objects she shouldn't,well other than paper that is.She doesn't go outside without me so I feel confident its not something she has swallowed. She hasn't been around other dogs other than ours so I don't feel she picked up any illness elsewhere.She doesn't have a cough its more of a clearing of the throat sound she makes.Anyone have any idea what can cause excessive swallowing,throat clearing sounds in a hound?She does have allergies but right now she is doing very good.She even does the swallowing thing in her sleep sometimes.Like I said its not everyday she has a episode.I don't let them have raw hide treats except on special occasions and she did have one similar to pig ears on christmas day which was devoured within 5 minutes for her.Thanks in advance...Debbie

Comments (8)