SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_gw

Should I hire a paint color consultant? (pic)

clueless
12 years ago

I'm am still dithering about how to completely redecorate my living room. Everything is going to be replaced.

I have spent hours on Houzz and other places, and most rooms that have dark woodwork and dark floors and a stone fireplace are painted some shade of white, have white or very light colored rugs, and white furniture.

The sofa I purchase will be leather - until I have a paint color all I know is it will not be red, brown, or black. The other upholstered furniture will be fabric-covered, and I have no problem finding fabrics I love.

I love white rugs, but I have a dog and 4 teenagers, no foyer, and live in the country, so I'm leery about buying a white rug especially during mud season.

I like color, and am especially fond of green (except for dark greens), pale yellow, and medium blue.

The ugliest toad in the room is the fireplace. I think I should pick a paint color for the walls before I do anything else. I can buy furniture and area rugs that will look good with the paint color. I am leaning toward apple green. The paint in this inspiration picture looks like Glidden's Granny Smith Apple. The yellow I would use in the color scheme would be similar to Martha Stewart's Yellow Gerbera.

{{!gwi}}

This is the fireplace, the dark woodwork, and the Brazilian cherry floors. According to my daughter, the woodwork is a warm brown and the floor has a cool tone. Since the landlord will likely never live here again, I'm going to ask him if I can remove the sconces.

{{!gwi}}

There is no point in my purchasing a rug first. I have seen thousands of rugs online and in person, and since I don't absolutely love any of them, I'm fine with whatever will go with the walls -- even a plain neutral. Actually, I found one multicolored rug I absolutely adore on Houzz, but I can't find it online - it would go with practically any wall color I chose.

So my question is whether you think I should hire a color consultant to help me decide on a wall color? I was thinking about consulting with Ellen Kennon. Question is whether full spectrum paint would be beneficial in such a dark room. The 13.5' x 20' room faces north, and the one window on that side is useless because we have a front porch. The other two windows are on the east side of the house.

Thank you for your help.

Comments (30)