SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeagain_gw

Owner/Build and hire consultant?

homeagain
15 years ago

Because my DH is relocated often, we have had 5 new homes built in the last 17 years. 2 were custom, 2 were "subdivision houses" and 1 was a spec at dried in stage, which we negotiated to customize the remaining elements.

Two of these builds were great, relationship-wise with the builder. Two, not so great. And one downright nasty.

Chances are very good that within the year we will be transferred again.

Even though we have watched all of these homes being built, I don't think we have the expertise to GC our own home. How would I know if the footers were dug and poured properly, framing matches the blueprint, etc? I know what needs to be done and in what order. I'm sure I can find subs and solicit bids, but I don't think that I would know why one subs bid would be better than another, other than price.

We are considering being the GC of record but then hiring someone experienced to check the work of the subs. Maybe a job superintendent for another builder. Has anyone done this? If so, did you pay an hourly rate, or by the job? Does the person you hire have any culpability if something they say is fine ends up being an issue at a later date?

Another option would be to hire a GC to only finish to the dried in stage but give us a completely finished home on the exterior. If we went this route, we would hire out the interior work that we couldn't do ourselves. I was even thinking that we could hire an electrician to get us started and then we do the manual labor like pulling wires and then he/she just do the connections. Same with a plumber. We would hire a drywaller but do the painting ourselves, etc. I would be free to purchase materials wherever I wish and not be tied to specific supply store.

There are two reasons we are considering this approach. One, of course, is to save money. Every three years we have taken on a new 30 year mortgage. At this rate we will be 75 before a home is ever paid for. The second is that I want to be in charge. Every house we have purchased the builder has purchased the lot, built the house and then we closed at the end and took possession. Until the closing it was "his" house. This time I want it to be my house from the beginning.

If we went this route, I would still like to do a sales contract purchase. The idea of cost plus scares me. My idea is to get a construction to permanent loan, pay down 20%, pay the builder in draws and keep the rest of my equity from the sale of this home to finish the interior.

I would love to hear from all of you who have done something similar.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company