SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trying2buy

What to Expect - Decorator / Tips / Costs

trying2buy
16 years ago

I recently was invited to a home in a neighborhood near ours and the house was decorated beautifully IMO - tasteful and elegant fabrics and colors without being overdone or fussy looking. The couple had used a local decorator for all of the window treatments / curtains and shades. I contacted that decorator who works for a local decorating store and made an appointment with her. She initially had some nice suggestions in regard to my previous posts about issues with Anderson double hung window treatments.

I am completely new at this - I have no experience with custom curtains at all. Am I in for a shock on the pricing? How does pricing compare for a pair of custom curtains vs say a custom valance over the kitchen window(s)? She did say that they work with many customers in stages, coming up with paint color/window treatment ideas for each room and then doing rooms on a priority basis as budget allows. In some rooms I have curtains already but need a coordinating sheer or curtain rods. Am I better off just purchasing my own "fill-in" sheers and rods? Do decorators typically add on additional costs to items purchased through them?

Her design consultation fee ($500) is 100% applicable to the purchase of any product (blinds, shades, curtains etc). I need a lot of window treatments so I think that could be applied without an issue. The previous company I had spoken to had almost no design input and I really do need help with getting things started.

Can anyone give me a sense of what one might typically expect for this type of consulation as well as any tips on cost saving where possible?

Comments (6)