SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

does your cat dart for the door every time you open it?

vacuumfreak
17 years ago

My 8 month neutered Jasper is starting a bad habit that I would like to break before something bad happens. He's getting curious about the outside world. Last week, I was running in and out of the apartment with bags of groceries he decided to run out the door across the hall into the community laundry room... about 5 feet from my door (first floor apartment). I picked him up and put him back in my apartment... I wagged my finger at him and scolded him. Of course he didn't understand or care, but I felt better. TODAY, as I was bringing in the groceries, he did the same thing. This time the self closer on the door made the door close on his mid section. I dropped the eggs I was carrying on the floor and ran for him. This behavior is NOT okay. We've been in the apartment about 4 months now (I've had him for 5), so he is settled. He is neutered, so he can't be looking for a mate. I don't starve or beat him... if he wants out that bad, maybe he should go to the SPCA and get owners who do treat him like that. He'd be ringing my bell in a day like the prodical son. Just kidding... I'm not going to "throw him away" because he does something I don't approve of. He's a pretty happy cat... lots of purrs and kisses, so I don't think he wants to escape. I think he is just curious about what else the world has out there. I have a 1 bedroom apartment with no yard, so going outside isn't an option. I don't want him getting run over by a car, lost, stolen, eaten, or flea infested. He must stay inside. I just don't know how to alter his behavior. My initial desire is to smack him... it's instinctive. I know if I was a parent and my child was reaching for the stove burner or electric outlet, he/she would certainly get a pop on the hand. I know you should never hit a cat so I don't do it. I can't spray water on him or shake coins at him after he's run out the door, and I know you have to catch a cat in the act to alter their behavior. I was going to sit him down with a glass of tea and have a heart to heart, but I decided that may not be very effective. How do I let him know going for the door isn't acceptable? I have invested money (to adopt, food, litter), time, and emotion. I'll not have him darting out the door on a whim just because he feels like it. I thought about getting a harness and walking him, but people don't walk cats, do they? I think I would look funny... and I don't think cats have the "drive" to walk like dogs. He would either sit there looking at me, or try to climb a tree or something besides walking! And, I don't want him picking up fleas or ticks. What would you do? Thanks!

Comments (20)