SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Please help w design & symmetry on 144" sink/range wall

SparklingWater
11 years ago

Please help. We are struggling with our 144" sink/ range wall design. We can't seem to firm up a design that yields at least some upper cabinet symmetry and large enough cabinets (21" to 30"w). Base cabinetry desires include an 18" double garbage pullout next to the sink and and a cutting board/tray storage cabinet.

The sink plumbing is fixed at 48 1/4" exactly from the left DW wall. We prefer not to move the plumbing. Rear wall drain location still will allow up to 10" deep sink basin, 3/4 hp garbage disposal and air valve as currently plumbed. The new sink base (24'-30") must pass that rear wall plumbing by a little. That limits us to a good quality SS sink pretty much, possibly cast iron.

A primary goal: increase in prep space between the main prep sink and the range. Currently prep is done on 27 inches. This is a wide galley kitchen and the fridge, sink, cooking triangle works well. Due to 3" inch wall fillers on both sides of this 144", some leftward shifting of the new DW and new sink base towards the wall, as well as rightward shifting of the new 36" range should permit an increase in this prep surface to at least 30 to 33" (one designer got 36" but with only 12" to right of range and I want 15" minimum for an emergency).

We're replacing the 36" cooktop with a 36" range that needs 1/4" clearance on both sides. The old 42" hood is being replaced by a 36" hood. The range location can probably shift towards the right wall some, to help with that prep surface increase. The soffit above the vent-hood is being drilled into soon, so as to better establish the ventilation duct requirements as well as range placement.

How can this design be made somewhat symmetric and not filled with small not as functional cabinets? We've seen full overlay frameless and face frame cabinets and still are debating. Our house is traditional colonial with mullion windowed furniture in adjacent DR. Will frameless fit the look? I'm a tad hesitant, especially because I've read frameless needs to be tight in installation which means no wiggle room in design.

Here is the current layout of the 144" sink/range wall; the right fillers abuts a plaster wall covering brick which is load bearing:

{{!gwi}}

Presently, facing the sink wall, there is 3" filler by the left wall base, a 24" KA DW, 30" sink base, 18" pull out garbage, 9" tray, 36" cooktop, 21" drawer stack and 3" filler.

Uppers from left wall are 3" filler, 21" upper, 36" over the sink shorter upper, 21" upper, 42" width vent hood (7" deep cabinet with vent hood suspended which conceals the rectangular 3"d x 24" w vent duct), an 18" upper and 3" filler adjacent to a plastered, load bearing brick wall.

I would SO appreciate your help: please help create some visual symmetry in the cabinet uppers/lowers on this important wall. Thank you so very much!

Comments (17)