SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayec28

need built-in bookshelf suggestions

kayec28
14 years ago

When my house was remodeled, they took what used to be a small outdoor closet, the kind you would keep WD 40, paint and other messy things in, and made it into a part of the laundry room. There is now a lower cabinet in the space and up above is a deep alcove. The space above this lower cabinet is crying out for shelving, and I thought it would be a perfect place to put my cookbook collection. I have an embarrassingly large collection of cookbooks. This cubby is deep enough to hold cookbooks two deep. And I like the idea of deep shelves because it also gives me options for storing other things including oversized platters, crockpots and other large items that my narrow pantry shelves can't accomodate.

My question is this...is it going to be annoying to have cookbooks stacked two deep? Is there a better solution to the problem? If I ever purge my cookbook collection then the shelves will be too deep to hold one layer of books, or at least it will be annoying to have to reach in and get one. Any suggestions or solutions?

I don't have a picture of the area but I found a picture online that is close, minus the upper cabinet. My alcove is a little deeper than this one, but you get the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (9)