SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastvillgal

Built-in bookshelf questions

eastvillgal
9 years ago

We are having a fairly large built-in bookshelf (w cabinets in bottom) made for our livingroom and the guy making it recently mentioned that he was considering mdf for the back panel (the rest of the bookshelf is plywood). Is mdf ok if it is just the backing? The is going to be a 90 inch wide unit, 8ft tall. We hope to have this stay strong and in good condition for many years? Just trying to understand if this is a bad place to use cheaper materials or if It ok?

Also, the 90" unit is made up of three columns of 30" wide shelves. We had imagined that he would have constructed 3 different segments -basically three different bookcases of 30" each and then attached them together. But instead he has started it as one huge unit - a 90" board all the way across the top and bottom. He is adding vertical plywood panels going down at 30" intervals. Aside from my confusion about how he will attach fixed shelving at the same height throughout the unit using this method, I am also wondering if the unit will be much weaker and less stable if it is made as 90" in one piece versus three separate smaller units attached.

I kmow he's done other carpentry projects but I don't think he's ever done something like this before so I'd like confirmation that this all sounds ok (and advice on mdf backing).

Thanks!!!!

Comments (7)