SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paradigmdawg

Wireless remote

paradigmdawg
14 years ago

Hey guys (and girls),

I think I would like to add a wireless remote to my system. If I can connect my landscape lighting to this; I think it would be worth it.

I take it that they can just tie in a relay from the EasyTouch 4 to the outlet that they added. Then my landscape lights would stay plugged into that outlet and it turn on via the relay and remote??

All I have is the light, water feature, 1 main pump, booster pump for water feature and the pump for the cleaner.

I think that leaves me some open relays, doesn't it?

What should I expect to pay for the remote?

Does this sound like it would work? I really don't know much about this.

Comments (14)

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Pool pump on relay 1
    Booster for pool sweep Relay 2
    Relay for W/F booster pump Relay 3
    Relay for Pool Light Relay 4

You're out of relays.

Scott

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

quote" I take it that they can just tie in a relay from the EasyTouch 4 to the outlet that they added. "quote

You'll most likely find that the plug you mentioned is the GFCI protection for the pool lamps. Open the weatherproof door on the receptacle and look for the test/reset button.

Scott is correct, you may be out of available relays.
    I'm not intimate with an Easy Touch but can tell you how the Jandy Aqualink works.

Filter pump and pool heater cost a relay space but not memory in the digital controller, if Pentair's controller is the same you be fine by slipping the Solar to the relay it becomes

0- filter pump
    1- pool sweep
    2- waterfeature pump
    3- pool lights
    4- low voltage lights.

My suggestion is to have an electrician hard wire the transformer to a new 15 amp GFCI breaker in the power center of your controller. If your power center doesn't have a breaker space because it's not a sub panel style power center have him provide the relay's line voltage from the load side of the GFCI receptacle.
    This isn't my preferred way of doing it but it meets code compliance.
    Also , you should check to see if there's a Radio Remote that will interact with the controller and it's wall mount indoor controller.
    The last full Pentair equipment set I installed on a new pool was about a year and a half ago.
    It was Pentair equipped as follows
    FNS Plus 60 DE filter
    Master Temp 400n heater
    4x160 multi speed pump
    Easy Touch 8 and a hard wired wall mount. The homeowner could have gotten a radio remote instead of the wall mount but chose to save the additional cost.
    The remote is purchased separately from the controller on this system depending on what the builder or buyer specified.
    If I remember correctly the radio remote was pretty expensive compared to the hard wired wall mount. I'm thinking 600 at my cost but my memory gets foggy after 24 hours when thinking about the day before yesterdays jobs.
    So I really don't remember much about a pool I built over 100 pools ago. I just remember him saying that he'd rather save the coin and walk right inside the back door to operate the controller.

There are a bunch of Pentair dealers here who could enlighten you more than myself.
    Hopefully Landamac might happen upon this thread. This member is a diehard Pentair fan and has probably forgotten more about their product line than I'll ever know.

See ya,
    Kelly

BTW, I really liked yours and Throughts home and poolside AV setups, WAY TO GO!!!

• Related Discussions

Wireless Remote Thermometer

Q

Comments (1)
    Gary, I use a Springfield Precisetemp unit for sale in local Menards store for about $20. Works well if you have a good line of sight to your greenhouse. You can also put the probe inside and the monitor outside and read in two places. Their tele# is 888-809-3284. Tim
    ...See More

Honeywell Prestige HD Thermo w/wireless remote- Need advice

Q

Comments (1)
    Doesn't sound like the best solution to your issues. Tri-level homes will always experience temperature variation between floors, but it can be reduced with a proper ductwork design. Are there metal dampers on the duct trunklines leaving the unit that can be adjusted to balance the airflow among all three floors? The issue I see with the remote thermostat is that you would be overcooling other areas of the home just to cool one room to a reasonable temperature, which isn't efficient, and may take a while depending on how little airflow that room may be receiving compared to what it needs. I would wait on the remote thermostat, and if necessary, bring in a reputable HVAC tech that can balance the duct system if possible and necessary.
    ...See More

wireless remote control systems

Q

Comments (8)
    Intermatic does make wireless control systems. Not a big player in this category but a long time industry giant for mechanical clocks. Recently, their P1353ME digital controller has become the standard for replacement of their mechanical clocks for two speed upgrades. This item does have a wireless attachment and a third circuit if you want to avoid a full blown automated system.
    ...See More

Pentair EasyTouch Wireless Remote

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi paradigmdawg, we haven't gotten ours yet but our pool builder who is very competitive in his pricing wanted to charge us $800 for it. I tried to negotiate a little and he ended up bundling it into the price for the Easytouch so he probably shaved a couple hundred off the total price. I could get it online for much less (Pool Suppy World has it for $465 - model. no. PEN520546) but I didn't want to offend our PB - he is very old school and doesn't think people should be buying pool equipment online - also this way he will help me program it etc.
    ...See More
  • poolguynj
    14 years ago

What might make more sense is the use of plug in timers that I use for holiday lighting that have a light sensor. When it's dark, the plugged in lights turn on outside. They can be set for X number of hours or Dusk-Dawn.

Scott

• trhought
    14 years ago

paradigmdawg...there's several ways to accomplish switching of your landscape lights. I've actually wired ours using both methods described by Kelly and Scott.

This was not intentional and it wasn't until I opened the low voltage transformer box that I realized landscape lighting control could have been accomplished easier. The transformer had a built-in timer which I now bypass because I have the transformer plugged into an outlet that is controlled by our Jandy PDA-P8 wireless system via a relay as you referred to.

In hind-sight, I probably would have done what Kelly recommends and install a GFCI breaker or a GFCI outlet (cheaper option) and used the built-in timer on the low voltage transformer for switching the lights.

Turning on landscape lights is an easy job that doesn't require pool control automation especially when you may have a need for controlling something else more directly related to the pool experience.

We turn our lights on at sunset and off at 11:00. This takes care of most our enjoyment needs (nice lighting to look at from within the house looking out into our backyard or out around the pool at night.) The only exception to this is when we have get togethers that last beyond 11:00. Then we have to remember to turn the lights back on when they turn off automatically.

Right now, we're using the pool automation system for our landscape lights, but in my mind, it's overkill and if I ever have a need for another relay, the landscape lighting will be the first thing I'll take off the system. Right now we're using all 9 of the available relays on the PDA-P8 wireless system but I'm always thinking of other things that can be controlled by the pool automation system. Landscape lighting is near the bottom of the priority list along with irrigation system control. Both these functions can be accomplished with dedicated timers that are more affordable.

If you really want a low cost wirelss option, check out a simple RF system such as X10 or smarthome that allows outlet switching with a small wireless key fob.

Also, as Kelly mentioned, you may have a 5th relay already on your Easytouch 4. Our Jandy PDA-P8 system has 9 relays (a spare or aux relay that can be configured as Kelly describes). Someone closer to Pentair equipment will have to weigh in here.

Several options to do what you want and it depends on what flexibility you want and level of control desired.

Just my thoughts after living with our system for a few years and things I would have done differently.

Hope this helps!

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

There are only 4 relays. All four are in use. He is maxed. I think his easiest solution is to use the timers I mentioned. Home Depot and Lowes carry them

Scott

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys! I was under the impression that the low voltage relays were basically a separate circuit from the "main" devices such as the pumps. Like I stated, I know very little about this pool stuff.

My landscaped lights are already on a timer but since I am really into techy stuff, I just thought it would be cool to have a remote so I can turn on everything at will. It is just a cool factor for me. It would also be nice to just use the lights, when I want them vs. when the timer is set and I don't think I should have to go to the side of the house to turn them on. I would prefer to do it from in the house. Does the hard wired control require the relays to add the lighting?

The idea of simple RF system such as X10 or smarthome sounds like it would work for me. Any special one I should be looking for?

• martmo
    14 years ago

I looked at the EasyTouch documentation and specs. a month ago. Here is what I remember reading.

When SOLAR = No, this special purpose relay becomes AUX EXTRA which seems to give you an extra auxillary circuit.

The relay appears to have the same electrical ratings as all other relays.

I did not look at the wireless controller, but the wired controller seem to offer remote control of the AUX EXTRA.

DISCLAIMER: I do not have a pool or a Pentair EasyTouch.

Martin

• paradigmdawg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks martmo,

Can anyone back this up?

• lbridges
    14 years ago

I don't think it can be done. As I understand it, the EasyTouch 4 has Aux 1-3 and the Aux extra or solar (for four total). If you use one of the variable speed pumps (VS or VF), then you don't use a relay for the pump (it's controlled by the RS-485 serial wiring) which would leave a relay open, but I didn't get that from the text above.

• martmo
    14 years ago

lbridges,

This is the way I understand the EasyTouch4 relays. Hopefully, Scott or another pro can confirm.

Power Relays = 4
    Filter Pump
    AUX 1
    AUX 2
    AUX 3

In addition, there are a couple of special purpose relays. Electric heater, Solar/Aux Extra, etc.

It seems that if you are not using Solar then it is labeled Aux Extra and becomes a 5th relay that is available for remote use or local use with the SOLAR button.

I am assuming this relay has the same electric ratings as the power relays.

I guess we need to wait for Scott or others to confirm.

Martin

• trhought
    14 years ago

paradigm....here's the low cost wireless solution I was referring to....link below.

These would have to be housed in a weather enclosure of some sort or inside your outdoor panel if there's room....inside the garage would also do the trick if that works for your setup.

These RF systems use your existing home electrical wires to send the signals to any X10 dimmers/switches in and around the home to turn lights/appliances on/off and dimmer control. All from the palm of your hand with an RF remote that works through walls and does not need line of sight. Their standard package has 16 channels for control of 16 different devices from one remote. The key fob package below only has 2 channels, but you can upgrade to a handheld remote that has the 16 channels and expand your X-10 devices as needed....pretty cool!

I use a lot of X10 devices around the house including the home theater as well. They also come in handy for outdoor X-mas lighting, blow-up outdoor holiday figures, etc.

They are easily programmed...just select the same channel on the remote and the appropriate X10 device (dip switch selectable on each X10 device) and they are paired automatically.

If you want to put your hands on one of these to see what they look like, Fry's Electronics carries an assortment of X10/Smarthome devices. There's several Fry's in the DFW area that I've bought X10 hardware over the years.

Hope this helps!

Switch plus key fob remote:

http://www.smarthome.com/4003/X10-16-Device-Base-Unit-with-Keychain-Remote-for-2-Devices-RC6500/p.aspx

Higher Current Switch (for larger loads >500 watts):

http://www.smarthome.com/_/ProductResults.aspx?Ntt=110v 20A receptacle

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

WRT to Easy Touch, what I found is when solar is not used, the "relay" is actually just a valve actuator control. It will Not pick an added Omron 3HP capable relay. It can be used to open another valve for, say deck jets or a water feature.

Scott

• martmo
    14 years ago

Scott,

After reading the results from your test I did a quick search. Looks like Repair_guy answered a similar question in '07. If I followed the response, a relay had to be added to the SOLAR/AUX Extra output. The part number is in the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Repair_Guy Additional Relays for EasyTouch