SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

tiled walk-in shower...

patty_cakes
16 years ago

I posted this in bathrooms also, but thought this forum might give me the answers I need.

I need to bounce this idea off a few 'heads' since it's been on my mind, and the idea is only growing. Picture this:the MB is on the main floor, 10 foot ceilings(could drop the ceiling and create an open area above), shower in one corner, tub on same side, butted up against the shower. I want to remove(will be a new build)the tub entirely, and make the whole outside wall a walk-in type shower. Here's the rub:I don't want it to be on the same level as the rest of the room, but create 2-3 stairs with 4" risers, and also make it deeper than the actual space, possibly 4 1/2'-5 1/2' and whatever length a combined shower/tub space might be, maybe 7'. This means some outside digging will have to be done, and a small 'jut' will be made on the outside of the house. It won't be a custom build, but thru a developer, so my question~do you *think* it would be cheaper to have a basic shower installed upon building and leave an empty space where the tub would normally go, and do the shower thing after the build is complete? I'll need the water supply/drain/faucets installed for inspection, so this would need re-doing for the new shower install. A completely tiled space, floor to ceiling, is what I have in mind. What about the light factor? Can a ceiling light be installed in this type of shower? There will be enough room for a window in the bathroom, but i'm concerned about a dark shower.

Is this a possibility, or are there some things i'm not considering? I would appreciate any pros/cons, opinions, or ideas you might have. Any plumbers who could give me a 'ballpark'?

This is not a figment of my imagination. LOL I saw it in a model home years ago.

Comment (1)