SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennmonkey

Help with seperation anxiety?

jennmonkey
14 years ago

I have a two year old-ish chocolate lab that cries/howls for about 15 minutes right after being left alone. He doesn't do it every time, but often enough that it might become a problem in our new living situation. He calms down and is fine by himself after that for the rest of the day (no accidents, no chewing anything he's not supposed to, etc). I've had him about 9 months now, and our old neighbor said he did it, but I finally heard it myself a few days ago because my sister lives in the apartment below me and I went down to visit her and it was LOUD.

I give him a stuffed Kong everyday when I leave. This morning I was waiting out in the parking lot for my sister and I heard him start the howl (of course after he finished the Kong). I haven't been freezing it but I think I'll start doing that tomorrow. A couple of things were recommended by the guy at the pet store and I'm wondering if anyone here has had any luck with them. First he recommended I try the citronella spray collars? The only thing is that they are meant for barking, so I'm not sure the howl would set it off, but it's a pretty loud howl so it might. Also, he said I could try the pheromone plug ins or sprays, but said not to use them everyday. I have no idea if those work at all.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm not worried about my downstairs neighbors because it's my sister, but I'm worried about the next door neighbors, and anyone within earshot!

Thanks!

Comments (5)