SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_sweet_gw

separation anxiety - please help

laura_sweet
12 years ago

My dog is hurting himself while I'm at work. =( I only just adopted him from animal services a week ago. He appears to be a Basenji/Pit mix, about 50 lbs and a year old. When I'm away, he barks constantly and destroys anything left in his crate. For the first few nights, I left him in a plastic crate while I couldn't be at home, but he chewed on the plastic and then scratched his nose pretty badly on the jagged edges. I got him a metal crate on Saturday and he seems happy inside of it, taking naps or chewing on a bone with the door open when I'm home. On my days off, I routinely put him in and take him out of the crate and he doesn't whine or try to escape. I've seen a vet and am giving him a canine equivalent of Xanax an hour before I have to leave, and supplying him with bones and peanut butter-filled Kongs to chew on. I also take him to a dog park prior to leaving so that he's tired. He still begins barking as soon as I leave, destroys everything in the crate, and is now bruising his muzzle on the metal bars. I'm sure eventually he will become accustomed to my schedule but in the meantime, I don't want him hurting himself. Any tips on how to prevent this?

Comments (8)