SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Have you heard of late-onset separation anxiety?

alisande
14 years ago

I've posted here before, several times, about my two elderly dogs, the younger of whom is Wolfy, a Husky-Shepherd. He was adopted from a shelter when he was one or two years old, which makes him around 14 now.

Wolfy is on Previcox and Tramadol for arthritis. A couple of months ago he started going in the pantry at night, as soon as I go to bed. He gets stuck in corners in there, as his arthritis makes it difficult to back up. What usually happens is that I'll get in bed and within a very short time have to go back downstairs to rescue him. We often go through this more than once per night. Even when he doesn't need rescuing, he bangs around in there, keeping me awake or waking me up. The pantry is just an extension of the kitchen, so there's no door or doorway. I've tried blocking his way in various ways, but he's a strong and determined dog. My sleep routine is in the pits, and the pantry is getting seriously trashed. And it's becoming increasingly clear that Wolfy is seriously unhappy.

I'm finally recognizing this as a type of separation anxiety. I don't know what he does while I'm at work, but I think he sleeps. It just seems to be at night that this behavior starts. A few times I've stayed downstairs after freeing him from the pantry. At those times he will pant and pace and make unhappy little noises. If I have the stamina to do it, I've waited it out until he winds down and falls asleep. They we're okay for the night. But most of the time I'm too tired to do that.

I tried sleeping on the sofa one night, and he didn't go into the pantry. But he kept me awake panting and nudging at me, so that didn't work.

The vet put him on amyltriptoline two or three weeks ago, but I haven't seen any improvement since. In fact, it seems to be getting steadily worse. I hate the thought of putting him on yet another med, but I put in a call today asking if there was something else we could try.

Wolfy belonged to my daughter Jill, who died eight years ago this Memorial Day. He's been a wonderful dog, and she and I created many beautiful memories with him. I don't know how many times over the years I've told him that he's not allowed to die. It seems inconceivable to me that I've reached the point where I'm thinking of taking that decision into my own hands.

Is it common for older dogs to develop anxiety? Do you have any advice for me? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Susan

Comments (5)