SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

about to have a complete meltdown/anxiety attack

melissastar
13 years ago

Finally, after weeks of no progress (long story, very boring) there's movement in my kitchen remodel and suddenly it seems like several crucial decisions have to be revisited TODAY. I spent all day with the contractor and seemed to just be spinning my wheels and now have to tell him by morning (or risk another multi-week delay) what to do about lighting in the kitchen and trim on the windows, doors and baseboards.

The framing inspection was finished yesterday, the insulation today and by Friday, the drywall is going up. So, GC and I look up at the recessed lights and realize...they're not in the right places. They'll light up the "walkways" very nicely, but countertop lighting will depend pretty much entirely on undercabinet lights and 2 mini pendants which were actually intended more for ambiance and lighting the breakfast/snack bar overhang...not the working counter part.

so PLEASE, PLEASE if anyone can help me sort this through tonight, I'd really, really appreciate it.

Here are the crucial questions:

Over a 40" wide peninsula...25" working counter with a 15" overhang for the breakfast bar (same height), where do I place the mini pendants? Centered over the peninsula, centered over the working counter, at the dividing line between working counter and eating area?

Are undercabinet lights and the two 50 w halogen lights on my 42" range hood sufficient for task lighting on the counter and range?

If not where do recessed cans go to light the counter top? I believe it's 21 inches from the wall, assuming a 6" can and a 24" wide counter?

If you have to trade off between putting the recessed lighting in nice orderly spacing along major axes and getting lights where you think you need them, over counters, what do you choose...assuming that you have undercab lights too?

Second problem is trim work. The cabinets are quartersawn oak on top, painted green on bottom. Backsplash is yellow with green/black/oak accents. Floor is oakey/tan limestone. There is virtually no white in the kitchen. I'd been operating under the assumption that the window trim and baseboard would be oak. GC says...hold it, not what I'd planned and that'll be over budget. The window sashes, by the way are paintable/stainable clear pine.

Do I have them do the trim in pine and stain all of it the same(or more or less the same) as the oak cabinets? Do I paint them the same soft creamy yellow as I'm using on the walls ? Do I paint them white even though that seems ALL wrong with the dining room which is completely open to the kitchen. The dining room by the way has William Morris wallpaper (creamy yellow/ivory background with fruits on it) and 100-year old hodgepodge of original pine, oak and maple woodwork...all stained to approximate the same color, but definitely different species. Do I find a way to pay for oak trim around the pine windows, thus continuing the hodgepodge look?

I think I'm about to crack.....

Comments (14)