SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mprice78

Anxiety & Feces, Please help!

mprice78
15 years ago

We are at our wit's end with our puppy. He's a 6+ month old Shih Tzu my wife and I got from a rescue organization about 3 months ago.

On average, he poops in his crate 3-4 times a week. I make sure he goes twice a morning every day, (and he does it again 3 times once we're home), but still every other day or so we'll come home to poop in his crate. He's usually only left in his crate for 4-5 hours a day. We only feed him about 2/3 a cup of food a day, and we feed him Canidae food, which everyone raves about. He was 3.5 lbs when we got him but is now 8-9 lbs.

We did find out he had a case of Giardia about a month ago, which he'd probably had since before we got him. However, after a course of medicine from our vet his stools have all been as close to perfect lookings as feces can possibly be. We've taken him back just to make sure and they couldn't find anything wrong with the stool sample we brought in. Plus when you consider he's gaining approximately 2 lbs a month, it doesn't seem like giardia would still be a problem for him.

It doesn't matter if his crate is big or if it's only small enough for him to turn around. It doesn't matter if we put bedding in there with him or keep it out. He still goes to the bathroom either day. He has only had one poop accident in the house since we got him, other than his accidents in the crate...and recently has been very good

On top of his potty issue, he's got a horrible case of seperation anxiety. We've worked at doing exercises to help with this almost every single day. It's taken us months to get to the point where we can both leave the room at the same time and he doesn't bark and scratch at the gate like crazy. However, if we're gone too long or if he's in his crate he goes insane. He literally barks so much in his crate that if we're gone for an hour and come back the entire lower half of his body is soaking wet with his drool. (We know it's not urine because if we leave white towels in as bedding they're not stained at all). He won't even accept a treat while he's in his crate. We have to bathe him almost every day because of the poop & drool combination, and I know bathing him that regularly can't be good for him. (although it's certainly better for him than him getting another bacterial infection from lying in his own feces)

We've already given up on crating him at night because for a couple months we literally got about 2-3 hours a sleep from his whining/barking. After the first month we moved his crate from the family room to our bedroom, but then he just cried the whole night instead of barking. So in the last couple of weeks we gave up and just let him sleep on a puppy bed at night. The downside to this is we've woken up to a few urine accidents. He was also neutered two weeks ago, and we haven't noticed any changes since then.

I'm worried my wife is going to lose it soon and insist we give him back to the rescue organization, and that's aboslutely the last thing I'd want to see happen to him. I feel awful for the little guy. On top of the giardia he also came to us with a bacterial infection on his stomach and a cut on his eye from another dog at the puppy mill he came from. Both of those have cleared up now, but it seems like he can't get a break.

We've been to our vet many times but haven't come up with a solution to his problems. Does anybody have any advice? Should we just give up on crating and leave him in a secured safe room? (we have a nice sized laundry room which could work) We hate to do that because we feel like he'll just continue to potty at will and never learn to hold it while we're gone. Could the pooping just have to do with his seperation anxiety? Our vet said he could give us tranquilizers if the anxiety continues, but that doesn't seem like a long term solution. Could it be he still has giardia, despite any fecal signs, or other symptoms?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (11)