SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bearandmouse

Help! Remodel Budget Anxiety in the Bay Area

Kristi
8 years ago

Hello,

I'm hoping someone out there can help us with budget advise for our marathon remodel project. After close to two years, our plans finally got approved for a complete remodel of my parents' house in the Bay Area. Very little has been done to their home in the 40+ years that they've lived there. Our plans include:

Complete remodel of two small bathrooms (4x7 and 5x7). The smaller bathroom needs to suitable for a disabled person.

Complete remodel of a small kitchen (10x10)

A new bathroom and living space with a closet

Bringing an "illegal" deck up to code

New lighting throughout the house

A new furnace and water heater

Now we are in the process of getting quotes from contractors to start construction and I think I'm in over my head. What we thought was a decent budget for a modest home in a modest neighborhood is probably not going to suffice. Just as housing and rental prices in the San Francisco area have become virtually unreachable for most average people, I'm afraid we're also out priced in the remodeling market.

We are combing through our scope for DIY projects and stuff we can postpone until a later date. Please let me know if you have any suggestions (websites for discount materials, pros who can help us rein in our budget, local suppliers-near San Francisco-with bargain deals, etc.)

Any help (or even a little encouragement) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (12)