SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Agression issues

doucanoe
11 years ago

We rescued a German Shepherd last November, he is now two years old. In general he is a very good dog, sweet, smart, and very active.

However he was never properly socialized and we are having a very difficult time fixing this problem. He goes ballistic when people come over, be it friends and neighbors or the UPS guy. Anytime anyone comes to our house he barks incessantly, jumps on them and shows his teeth.

He hasn't yet, and I don't think he would intentionally bite or hurt anyone, but he just gets so out of control. If we know someone is coming we have been crating him until they have been here a while and he has calmed down a bit, but when we let him out he is still very excited.

I am to the point of considering taking him back to the shelter, but I really don't want to do that. I just can't handle him when he gets this way. He is 85lb and very strong!

I do love him but I have a sort of love-hate relationship with him simply because of this behavior.

I have borrowed a friend's shock-collar, haven't used it yet. I don't know what else to do we have tried everything but "doggie downers" on him!

Any advice on curbing this behavior will be welcomed. Other than this we have been able to train him to be a really good boy!

Thanks....Linda

Comments (31)