SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Why has my cat, who has health issues, started pooping on the flo

My cat, who is 10, has been pooping on the floor with increasing regularity. Some of you may remember: almost 2 years ago she had brain damage from having a parasite crawl up her nose and burrow into her brain. She started having seizures which is how the parasite was discovered. Although it was not a stroke, it was similar in many ways. It was a long road back and she never fully recovered all her physical faculties and, umm, mental faculties. She had to be retrained to use the litterbox just like a kitten. But she managed to relearn most things. She is not longer allowed to go outside. I received much valuable advice here then.

She is on twice daily phenobarbitol now. Her back legs are not too coordinated and she canÂt move out of the way quickly. If there is a human-cat collision she hisses now. The phenobarbitol makes her hungry so whenever someone goes in the kitchen she is always underfoot looking for a snack. She is still a sweet cat (although more with me than anyone else in the family: she used to love everybody) but other family members are getting annoyed with her hissing at them if they walk past her too quickly. She will also nip toes under the table if she is really hungry! Her food is measured or she would be really fat. She is not very active anymore.

The pooping may be the last straw with my husband. I have been trying to find the pile before he sees it but I travel on business too. ItÂs always in a different spot.

At first I thought she did it only when the litterbox was not clean enough. She never used to be finicky. I made an effort to monitor the box better. I normally put only a small amount of litter in, with a base of newspaper, and remove it all when changing. I donÂt scoop because the urine is still there, and thatÂs more of a problem than the poop, odorwise. So I have been replacing every third day or so. The litter is Tidy Cat clay litter. I used to use Fresh Step half and half with the ordinary litter. But that stuff is expensive so I stopped buying it. Maybe I need to go back to it, as it seems to help with odor? The pooping is more recent than that change, though. I probably stopped using the Fresh Step a year ago, and the pooping started maybe a few months ago, increasing in regularity to now almost every day, usually at night or in the evening. I have noticed that before she is going to do it she paces restlessly around and wonÂt be still or sit next to me. I could lock her in the room with the litterbox then but IÂm not always around to see this happening.

Maybe some of you cat behavior experts have some suggestions for me? Because of her health issues I donÂt know if this is a standard behavioral issue or not. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (6)