SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dtchgrl

first step for this type of project?

15 years ago

Hi,

I've been reading and gathering info and ideas from this wonderful group, but haven't really started anything yet!

We are seriously considering a medium sized kitchen remodel to our kitchen in our house built 10 yrs ago. The cabinets are maple and still in good shape so we would probably use all the same cabinets. However, our idea is to remove one of the kitchen walls that has a small (ie useless) mudroom/laundry room behind it and re-orient a small powder room by using wall space we gain from walling over one entrace from the garage (there is another entrace from the garage directly into an large space we now use as the laundry room. This would give us about 5 feet more width to the majority of the kitchen. Cabinets, wall oven,bar area etc that were on that wall would just get re-attached to the further back exterior (actually garage) wall. Our hardwood floors needed to be re-done anyway, and I want to get rid of my solid white corian counters. The new space would also allow us to get a new, larger island which I would like to be the main "wow" part of the new kitchen since I am not getting new perimeter cabinets. I've seen tons of beautiful island ideas, but have no idea which shape/style would function best in our new space.

Here is my confusion: I understand that most kitchen design showrooms have you pay down something like $1,000-$2,000, and then they work with you on all aspects of your kitchen/bath remodel, and usually including a whole new kitchen full of cabinets that they sell you and will credit your $1,000-$2,000 towards.

While I would like a "wow" new island, the great majority of our budget will be going towards construction and new (probably granite) countertops. BUT, I still need help from someone on how (IF?!) my ideas will work, since it also includes totally switching the proportions of an ajoining powder room.

Should I just show up at a couple kithen/bath showrooms and explain my situation? I totally understand why they might not be too thrilled to work on our project which only involves a small purchase of cabinets (which I'm sure is where they really make their money!).

We're new to this entire remodeling thing, so any guidance would be appreciated!

Comments (4)