SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kesaber

First step to homesteading

kesaber
9 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I was browsing through Youtube watching videos when I stumbled upon a few about homesteading. I was immediately sucked in by the idea and decided almost instantly this was going to be my next project. It didn't take me long to realize there are many different ways to live the homestead lifestyle, so I should specify what I am trying to replicate.

First I should mention that I don't like money. Making it, spending it, interacting with it, etc. I realize it isn't possible to avoid it 100%, but the closer I can get to that the better. I want to go back to the simple life before everything was justified by money. I do have money to spend to get on my feet and will spend it if it puts me in a better starting situation, but I wont argue with a cheap place. I want to build my own house, run solar panels, grow food, raise animals, etc

That being said, I am looking to be isolated. That could mean a couple hours away from a city or more, obviously cost will be a factor and I assume the farther from the city the cheaaper it becomes.

Ideally I would get a place in California just because that is where my family is. Although if it would be clearly better for me to go to another State I would be willing to do so.

For me, it seems like the two main things I should be looking at when deciding on the state/city is whether and soil fertility, and I'm not sure why these two are important. Intuitively I would assume a place with more sun is better since I could build a greenhouse to cool my environment, but I can't recreate the sun without spending money. Is this logic sound? Also is fertile soil only important because I can plant right away? I assume I can make bad soil fertile through some kind of care, or is this not the case?

I'm very new at this but very eager to get started. Any comments, tips, advice, anything at all would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH