SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b2theo

Taking Those First Steps

b2theo
15 years ago

Now that I'm starting on the third summer in my first house and very own yard I'm amazed at how rewarding a garden can be. I know... Took me long enough, right?

I loved that the house had beautiful landscaping but it quickly overwhelmed me that first year and I realized how little I knew. Which end of the shovel is supposed to go in the ground?!?! I thought "Aww, the hard work has already been done for me." HA! It's amazing how quickly a jungle can appear in the city!

Last year my poor yard was neglected. I was gone a lot and there just didn't seem to be time for it all! Add to that removing and replacing a fence which pretty much destroyed most of the perimeter plants. Oh, and a canyon that was carved out for my new sewer line followed by 40 days and 40 nights of rain that kept me from leveling back out the clay. I have my very own peaks and valleys that that still remain as a token of remembrance. Poor yard :(.

This year I've got the time, determination, and a little more know-how to help me along. Happily many of the trees and shrubs have survived on their own. I was happy to inherit an apple tree. Last year I got a few hostas and dianthus planted in the front just so I could say I grew SOMETHING on my own! This year I think ya'll would be proud. I've managed to add a hydrangea, some japanese painted fern, morning glories, gladiolus (okay, they survived the trenching but I revived them!), guara, butterfly bush, coneflower, passionflower, tickseed and joe pye weed. I've got some daylilies and vinca that just thrived being neglected and tore up! Oh, and a few herbs on the patio because they smell fantastic! It seems so small compared to some of you tenured gardeners but hopefully I'll be as accomplished in future years.

I'm quickly finding out how much easier it ease to care for a garden than for a lawn. Sure, you can't just whack it down once a week but it's so much more fulfilling and relaxing. I've got so many ideas on what I WANT to do, now it's just a matter of what CAN I do. I'm working to win back my yard little by little and getting addicted more each step of the way!

All this to say hello and introduce myself and my yard a little bit. Several of you, the FAQ's, and this forum have already been very helpful. Any "I wish I had known when starting out" tips anyone would like to share for any newbies like me would be welcomed. For example: I wish I had known to think about final sizes of plants. It seems obvious but I sure did get it wrong at first! One of my cute little hostas sure did turn in to a plant smothering monster! :)

I look forward to learning more with you all!

Regards,

Bryan

Comments (4)