SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melonpan

advice on first steps to trying to fix front yard lawn

melonpan
10 years ago

currently rent a house in champaign, illinois. we will be here 5+ years, no plans to move before then. first time living in a home, before this it was always apartments.

would like some help trying to get the lawn back up to order. i know it will take some time and some effort. i am completely new to yard work.

first, the front yard has a lot of bald spots. some moss, even. because of the tree (i have not yet figured out what kind of tree is there, but thats another side project for this spring/summer when leaves come out) there is a bit of shade. so i think my first step should be to get the soil tested? or no? some other step?

i would just like some idea of what a first step might be. I'm sure that different people have different ideas, so ms x's first steps might be different from mr y's. any help would be greatly appreciated.

maybe even before soil testing, i need to figure out what kind of grass is here. or what kind of grass might be good for here. (again, champaign, illinois.)

thanks in advance for any help in establishing my first steps!

i guess i might also add that i am not opposed to chemical fertilizers down the line, or even at the start, but i would prefer organic methods but i wonder if im even getting ahead of myself. i need to have a lawn to fertilize.

the photos below were taken 2 days ago.

{{gwi:85025}}
the above is a photo of the front yard. not very large, in my opinion. i hope that this is a project that i can manage. i also hope to be successful.

{{gwi:85026}}
the above is a close up of a patch of the good lawn that is left. dont know what it is.

{{gwi:85027}}
this is right next to the front of the house. looking at the first photo, it would be towards the right edge of that first photo, closest to the garage.

{{gwi:85028}}
dont know if this is dead or dormant. and there is some moss there at the top edge of the photo.

{{gwi:85029}}the above is the strip of lawn between our rental and the house next door. its doing better, yet there is a lot of weed right along the edge. a photo is below:

{{gwi:85030}}
weed. not sure what to do here. i really am new to this. do i just pull it up by hand? hoe it in or something?

{{gwi:85031}}
the above is a close up of the grass growing in the strip. it looks like the same grass in the front yard.

{{gwi:85032}}
the above is a photo of the yard covering the area closest to the entire front of the house. dead or dormant patches of grass, some moss and a large bald spot. near the left edge you can see an exposed tree root.

thank you so much in advance for any advice you choose to give!

Comments (4)