SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drdingus

? re: replacing old showerhead--threads don't fit

drdingus
16 years ago

I'd like to change the showerhead in my bathroom to a more modern one. When I screwed off the old one and tried to screw on the new one, the threads on the pipe were so worn and old that they're too small for the new showerhead, and so the new one doesn't take hold. I've tried that special tape to try to build up the old threads but no matter how much I use, I still have a leak between the two.

I tried to screw off the 1.25 foot end of the shower pipe that comes out from the tile at eye-level, but I didn't get it off and I didn't want to break something and end up with a big leak behind the tile.

My first question is if anyone knows another way besides the tape, to join together the old end which is worn down to the new showerhead?

Second, is the piece of shower pipe that comes out at the top near eye level one continuous piece of piping all the way down to the inlet to the bathtub faucet? Or is it a separate piece that can be removed carefully so it can be replaced? Am I just destined to keep the same old showerhead?

Thanks...DD

Comment (1)