SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

When cabinets don't fit...

marvelousmarvin
12 years ago

What do you do when you bought a cabinet or something like an appliance to fit an existing space, but its too large to fit in that space? For example, you buy a new dishwasher and take out the old dishwasher only to find the new dishwasher won't fit in the old dishwasher's space.

I made the mistake of assuming that all this was pretty standard, and that you could simply pop in another piece to fit that opening.

But, now, I'm hitting this roadblock that my new base cabinet is slightly too tall to fit even though the width and depth are fine. And, I measured twice but still messed up by getting a cabinet that doesn't fit.

For the now empty space, the height from floor to counter top is 34 inches, which I knew would be too short for the off the shelf base cabinets you get from Home Depot and Lowe's. The Ikea base cabinet is 30 inches and the height, with the legs, is 34 something. But, I thought it would work because the legs were adjustable...

So, now, I can't return this cabinet because I already went through all the trouble of assembling it. (I wish Ikea could come with something better for their directions than those pictograms).

What should I do? There's a layer of plywood that was underneath the old cabinetry that's nailed in so it would be even with the kitchen floor. Should I rip the plywood out so it'll be low enough with the legs on? Or, do I put some stuff underneath the cabinets so it reaches the counter height without the legs on?

And, it doesn't help that the legs are pretty flimsy. Its hard to jiggle and jam the cabinet inside without the legs falling off. Has anybody else had that problem with the Ikea legs for their cabinets? Again, with those pictures as directions, I'm not sure if I installed them correctly.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert